Destroys anything new in yard

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Concetta, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Concetta

Concetta Registered Users

Hi

I have a beautiful 1yr 7 months lab. She is an outside dog because she seems to grab anything she pleases. When something new is around e.g. bucket, hose, broom, tools, chairs She has to grab them and try destroy them. It's like she thinks anything new in the yard is a toy. If we try bring her inside she sniffs around and will always grab something. I'm not sure how best to approach it. She loves attention so any type of attention seems to encourage her. We would love to bring her over to friends house but worry about what's in their yard because she seems to want to take anything. Any advice would be great. ​

2. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

Does she have toys in your yard? If so do you rotate them so that there is always something "new"?
    Amber used to do the same but has almost got over it now. I ignored bad behaviour where I could safely and rewarded good behaviour. Your pup is still young and will see any chasing around as a game.

3. Concetta

Concetta Registered Users

Thanks for your response Aitch. Yes she has toys, but we do not rotate them. Maybe we should try this. It's just like she needs to put anything she sees in her mouth! Yes definitely thinks chasing as a great game .we have learnt to ignore when possible and it has definitely eased. It's just hard that we can't leave much lying around in the yard otherwise she will claim it one way or another.