Destructive!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Alexis7, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Alexis7

Alexis7 Registered Users

My 18 month old Lab who is genrally very well behaved and has been following nicely in her 7 year old 'big sisters' pawprints has suddenly become very destructive and makes me nervous of leaving her for fear of what i will come home to.
    Is it normal to become mega destructive around the 18 month stage for no apparent reason?

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

That has not been our experience, but every dog is different. Ours destroy their toys, but not our stuff. When Cooper was younger, books and knickknacks were endangered, but not for the past year I think. (Cooper is 2-1/2 now) Ours have a dog door and access to the back yard any time they want, so they have a chance to burn off some energy if they want.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I've not know them to go through the destructive stage at that age, but all dogs are different. Have you had her checked over by the vet? How long is she usually left for? Some dogs become destructive because they are bored and don't have enough stimulation, or because they become anxious about something.

4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Destruction using comes from an unhappy animal. Stress and frustration can build and they eventually need an outlet. Unfortunately it can become your belongings. What makes you concearned, what has been destroyed and under what circumstances?

5. Alexis7

Alexis7 Registered Users

Thanks guys.
    I think ive sussed the problem...
    These past couple of weeks Beau has discovered food in my daughters bin in her bedroom.
    I keep telling her not to leave it there... but it seems now perhaps Beau thinks all bags may have food in them left over especially for her!
    Nothing has changed other than my daughters work schedule and her eating late at night in her room etc and Beau finding food.. so, back to basics of 'nothing left lying around to tempt her' and today there has been no destruction! WOO HOO!
    Fingers crossed cos she is generally very well behaved and is a very happy dog.
    Thank you x

Plum's mum and Karen like this.