Dexter's first agility 1-2-1

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I took Dexter along to a 1-2-1 agility session today. He's 8 months old tomorrow and the trainer was brilliant. No jumping but mainly worked on the sit stay and sending Dexter to retrieve his ball.
    When I turned up I knew to keep Dexter on his lead as I'd been told there were horses in a field. The horses were actually on three sides of the agility field. Dexter ignored them on and off leash and even saw his first horse cantering up the side of the fence in its field.

Dexter was great, by the end of the lesson, I was able to put him in a sit stay, walk about 20-30ft away, place his ball on a cone, walk halfway back to him before releasing him to run through the gates that the jumps had been removed from or to go back to him, reward his sit stay before releasing him. He's such a clever boy :D

We also covered clicker training and shaping and I was given some more ideas to progress the 'in the box' that Dexter learned this week from the 'When Pigs Fly' book.

We both had great fun, all positive reinforcement and I have lots of things to be working on, like two feet on and two feet off a plank of wood on the ground to help with correct entry on and off of obsticals later on. Making a large wobble board and working on that to get Dexter's confidence on an unstable surface. This will all be done by clicking and treating the approximations.

All in all a happy first experience for two novices of agility :D, it was good to get some tips on how I can improve and what I wasn't getting quite right.

I've not booked another session as we have enough to be getting on with for now and the instructor wants us to nail these basics first :)

drjs@5 likes this.
  2. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

sounds like you had a fantastic first session. They really are good for teaching stays and also, I think, it really helps strengthen your bond when you do something together. I look forward to reading more

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  3. Newbie Lab Owner

Thank you @Naya, I'm sure we will go again. I got so wrapped up in the lesson that I forgot to film any of it ;)
    This trainer was great with Dexter and I even asked him if he would hold Dexter on lead when it started raining so that I could go and close the boot on my car. I don't let anyone I can't trust 100%, take Dexter's lead.

I'll let you know how we progress.
    Tonight I turned the plastic box that I've been using with Dexter to sit in, upside down. It didn't take him long to stand on it. My OH and I love watching as he works through to what we want. We both wish we had filmed him tonight ;)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Really pleased that you had such a good 121 session ad that you both enjoyed the experience :)

5. Newbie Lab Owner

Thank you @MaccieD, I'm glad that we just spent time on the basics and to get those right first. Laying the foundations of future adventures. It was worth the journey and the money, all very relaxed, working at Dexter's pace, giving him time to settle and work it out, no harshness at all. :)

6. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wow, sounds fantastic. I love that you've been able to start training agility before 12 months but with no jumps.

Keep up the good work :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sounds great! I hope you both really enjoy it! :)

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Excellent, the trainer sounds great. Would love to see some photo's if you can manage it next time. x :)

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Sounds fab. I would love to do agility with Shadow. I'll take them on a beginners' agility holiday one day - I'm thinking of this place: http://www.barkingmadweekend.com/

10. Islas Mum

Islas Mum Registered Users

Fabulous. My Hubby plans to take Isla to agility as we have a club just around the corner from where I keep my horses. I think it's great to give them a 'job'

11. CiElBie

CiElBie Registered Users

Labs love agility! :D
    I wish more people were to give agility, or any sport really, a go. It really is a lot of fun, and bonds you well with your dog :3

Glad you enjoyed it! Its a good thing they dont let the pup jump yet :) when hes older he'll be flying!

12. Newbie Lab Owner

Yes, I think we will definitely go back but I have a lot of the basics to be learning first so will be a while yet. But I will take my GoPro now that I have some attachments that I can wear.
    Dexter's self control is coming along but have a lot of proofing to do :)

13. stace84

stace84 Registered Users

this is so cool, so good to start the basics at this age, wish i had this chance with grace!