Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tmblack, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Tmblack

Tmblack Registered Users

Alice is 8 weeks and has been in our home since Friday. Her stool has always been soft but this morning it is liquid x2.
    Is there anything I can do for this?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi there. Puppy tummies are notoriously a bit squiffy! I would put her on a diet of plain boiled rice and chicken (no seasoning) for a day or so and see if that helps. Just cut some raw chicken into small chunks and put it in the pan with the rice and cook it all together. Make it really wet and sloppy. Obviously wait for it to cool before feeding it to her.

The main thing is to ensure she is getting plenty of fluids. At this age puppies are very vulnerable so if she isn't drinking enough, or if there is any change in her energy levels, take her to the vet ASAP. If she doesn't firm up almost immediately, it's off to the vet, too, because she may have a tummy bug that needs medication.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just to add , ensure that the rice, when given to her, is very watery indeed , this will help rehydrate . Also, if you have plain white fish, this can work as well as chicken does . I wouldn't want to leave an 8 week old pup without Vet advice or treatment for more than 24 hours .

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes. I normally cook it in a regular amount of water and then add cold water before serving it up, to make it really liquid. I assume she's still on three or four meals a day, so you can make a day's ration in one go and put it in the fridge once cool. Also, think soft, overcooked rice here. It doesn't need to be al dente, we're not on a cookery show :)

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Be very sure that she doesn't get dehydrated, any sign of lethargy or refusing to drink take her straight to the vet. They can go downhill very fast at this age.

6. Tmblack

Tmblack Registered Users

Thanks. She is drinking lots of water still so that's good. Someone told me to feed her brown rice mixed with scrambled egg and chicken.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I would use white rice rather than brown. If she's not better within 24 hours, or gets hot, or stops drinking, then straight to the vets...

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I agree with Karen, not brown rice, its got lots of roughage in it , which she definitely doesn't want .

9. tullimore1976

tullimore1976 Registered Users

We had an incident with my wife and my 5 week old pups on Friday. Ive slowly been reducing the puppy milk and replacing it with water in their kibble. On Friday my wife noticed they hadnt eaten all their food so she poured full fat cows milk into their food and of course they lapped it up, she also gave Jet some and now we have puppies and mother with the runs!!!
    Its been 24 hrs now and their diarrhoea doesnt seem to be improving, neither is Jets, all pups and mum are lively and eating and drinking as normal. Some of the pups have it worse than others ranging from a brown splat to a very soft poo (sorry for being graphic). As i mentioned they are all acting as normal and are still eating their softened kibble etc. Should i keep feeding them their puppy kibble or should i also try white rice and chicken?? Ill be seeing the vet in the morning if they havent improved. (also posted in my puppy thread).