Digging out the water bowl...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jojo, Dec 3, 2015.

1. jojo

jojo Registered Users

Pipers 14 weeks and she's started digging in her water bowl. Effectively emptying it all over the floor....leaving herself no water. Now Rocco (6) does it occasionally but only in his outside dish. Is it a lab thing? And will it pass?? Getting concerned she's leaving herself and Rocco with no water when I'm out (only 3 hours max) she does it whether I'm in or not.
    Xx

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

It sounds like she is playing :) Could you maybe buy one of the heavy pottery dog bowls with the curved tops, they are more heavy and would possibly be harder for the little tyke to empty ;)

3. jojo

jojo Registered Users

She's a monkey. She was in the shower today while I was trying to clean it....

4. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Jura used to play with her water bowl when she was younger, thankfully she's outgrown it now and hasn't done it for a couple of months I think (she's now 7 months).

I did change her water bowl to a bigger, heavier one which also helped.

She does, however, still try and "help" me clean the shower!!

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have a Mason Cash water bowl which is super heavy. Shadow does still dig in it on occasion, but only when something has fallen in it. A piece of kibble or somesuch can't be picked out with his mouth, no. It must be dug out. :rolleyes:

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer always diggs in his water bowl, more like full on water fight! We leave a bit of water for him in the bottom of his bowl. He has extra water with his breakfast and dinner.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rorys always done it and he even digs in my small pond and his paddling pool. he's so funny

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

If you get a spaniel bowl it's like the base of a cone so they can get their nose in but probably not their paws that might help. I think they grow out of it generally though :)

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Twiglet started doing this, she loves to dig - I stopped her every time and she soon stopped trying :)

She has a place outside where digging is allowed so that she can play at digging in a sensible place (not the lawn or water bowls!!)

10. Camy

Camy Registered Users

Eric also did this when he was a puppy. I did exactly what bbrown said and it worked well. Don't know if it was the bowl or he just grew out of it...but worth a try maybe :)

11. jools

jools Registered Users

yep Eric does this. we now have a very heavy ceramic bowl in the garden and another bowl which attached to his crate in the house. this seems to have stopped him
    At daycare however he stills the bowl over continuously... its a lovely game!

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory grew out of it mostly but he will still do it when he's hot and as long as he's outside I don't mind. He did once when it was very very hot pick up a water bowl when we were outside at the mother in laws throw it to the floor and then laid down in the puddle to cool himself. I thought that was clever it was so hot and MIL had the windows closed and heating on??? Me and the dogs hid behind the garage in the shade. it was so hot it made me angry but I am ginger so I hate the sun and heat.

13. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We did the same and Hollys digging stopped straight away.

14. Indy

Indy Registered Users