Discharge from eyes

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

I have noticed now and again nero has a bit of discharge coming from both eyes. Is this anything to worry about?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Discharge from eyes

We often get a little discharge after Lilly has been on the beach or somewhere very dusty.
    I think the first time be went to the vets and got drops. Since then, I have always just bathed her eyes and it has settled within a few days.
    If there is a lot of discharge and pretty green, and/or her eyes were red at all, I would be off to the vets.

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Molly has this now and again, as have previous dogs of mine. I just wash - sometimes with cold tea - which seems to do the trick. Like Lilly's owner has said, I wouldn't rush to the vet unless they were obviously itchy.

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny gets sleep in her eyes sometimes, if it's like that then it's nothing to worry about.

However if the discharge is yellow or green and the eyes look bloodshot you should probably see the vet as it may be a touch of conjunctivitis.

We all find Penny's eyes get a bit irritated and therefore dischargey when we spray something around her like air freshener, deoderant, furniture polish etc. just something to bear in mind.

5. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Thanks for the replies. His eyes look fine so hopefully its nothing to worry about

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

When Dexter was little I had a couple of eye irritation episodes,the vet mentioned a product called tears naturelle you can buy from the chemist,basically saline which flushes the eye out,I do Dexters with it if we've been in the desert,I'm sure coll boiled water would work the same though.dex grew out of ot as it was to do with is third eyelid causing irritation,really common and your dog grows out of it as they grow bigger x

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Dogs can get hay fever too. If they have itchy skin as well as irritated eyes then hayfever is a possibility.