DNA testing for breed identity ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Sep 14, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Wondering if anyone with a mixed breed dog has used one of these tests ?

Millie was described as a JRT X , but having had JRT`s for very many years, she doesnt really behave like one , I think there is some terrier in there but something else is predominant, and wondering about Llasa Abso (sp ?) as they look quite similar and also have the tell tale undershot jaw . I have seen test kits for sale at around £ 40 , just a swab which goes to the lab for testing and wondering how accurate these can possibly be at identifying breeds in the dogs DNA ? or maybe just a complete waste of money and accept that we have undoubtably got a Heinz 57 , which really doesnt matter at all ?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: DNA testing for breed identity ?

Kate if I didnt dream it I think Anabelles family did one for Barley? Would be really interesting to know and scratch the itch of your curiosity to see if you are right x

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't think I'd be able to resist, Kate...

4. kateincornwall

I`m just plain nosey , not that it matters one tiny bit what she is and oh yes , in the dim and distant memory I remember Barley and a test , thanks Angela and Karen x

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate it was Puppypal she did do one on Barley and I remember asking her as my curiosity is getting the better with me about Charlie, so nosey, although like you say it doesn't matter a jot :), however she did say they are not 100% accurate. So many people have had so many guesses about Charlie from part Great Dane, GSD, Fox Hound, the only breed we can be sure of is Labrador for definite and as described by the rescue centre he is Labrador x Pointer - who knows. Your vet can of course do it but I am not sure how much it would cost. Let me know if your curiosity gets the better of you with Millie ;) Helen xx

6. kateincornwall

Thanks Helen , if they arent that accurate then theres little point and I bet a Vet test would cost a fortune , maybe just let it be , she is what she is , a little ragbag :)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate I know what you mean so we have one ragbag and one who knows what name springs to mind for Charlie :eek: Helen xx

8. kateincornwall

[quote author=charlie link=topic=2559.msg25671#msg25671 date=1379178905]
    Kate I know what you mean so we have one ragbag and one who knows what name springs to mind for Charlie :eek: Helen xx
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

an adorable rag bag, :)
    she is so well behaved and as settled into you family home without any issues to date :)......beautiful millie

10. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

We have DNA tested barley, the results surprised us but looking at him now i can see the breeds that are in him. We thought that he was a Pyernean x retriever and so did most other people, but when the results came back it said that he was Pyernean x Irish water spaniel x Brittany spaniel, but looking at him now i can see the brittany spaniel because of his colourings, they are extremely similar to a brittany spaniels, we know where he gets the water spaniel from as on the farm where he came from there were loads of them there, but we never saw any brittany spaniels. They are not 100% accurate but it is always worth a shot, this is where we got ours from http://www.blackdogdna.com/

11. kateincornwall

Thank you for the info and link Puppypal :)

Looking at the list of breeds identified , the problem we have is that we are fairly sure that she has JRT in her make up and as JRT`s arent a registered KC breed , they arent listed , only Parson JR and she definately has none of this in her so maybe it would be a waste of money ?
    Thanks anyway , shall ponder :)