Do I have to change my command?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by charlie, Dec 6, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlies' heelwork isn't great except when he has had his walk and is tired then it's good. IF I decide to clicker train heel work do I really need to change my command word because after 6 years of saying 'heel' I don't think I could use a different word? As you all know I really don't like using the clicker but wondered if it would help Charlie. Thanks :)

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: Do I have to change my command?

I don't think you need to change your command just because you are using a clicker - after all, the word itself won't matter to Charlie and you can pick whatever you like. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... but if, as you suggest, he is not responding well to the current command, then it could be worth changing it, yes.

Does that make sense?
    Clare

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Clare it does make sense, in Pippas clicker heel work article she says you must change the command as the old one is now no good, but with two dogs Hattie being 6, I have always used 'heel' so difficult to change for a second dog and to use different words on a walk throws up problems ??? Thank you

4. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I know exactly what you mean! Brew has a whistle recall, Theakston's is verbal... he is learning the whistle too... and sometimes, I think it is only me that gets confused, not them! ;)
    Clare

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

;D ;D So funny aren't they. I started teaching Hattie recall and stop whistle in the summer and she is really quite good, even called her off an almost deer chase yesterday, she stopped dead in her tracks and returned immediately for some dried sprats. I feel I am constantly confused with all this training ::)

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Helen,I changed my command from Heel to Walk when I started again from scratch ......because I felt in such a mess and I didn't want him to have any of old associations...he'd ignored me saying Heel for so long :(
    I'm reading a clicker training book at the moment and it's helped me understand how you can use the clicker to fine tune an existing command...after the 2 bad mornings I had with Dexter and the cats ,I got my clicker out again just to see if I could tighten up our 'walk' .previously I've not been fussy,as long as he walks on my left side and the lead is slack I'm happy.That night I walked him on the lead and did c&t as he moved into the 'walk' position I wanted,I've done that on 3 walks now and I can see a huge improvement....so I don't think you do need to change your command if you just want to improve it...the clicker will instantly catch the new behaviour you want....
    Helen,I started step 3 of clicker trained retreive today,duration,not good,but I haven't had a lot of spare time today.I have tomorrow so I'll try and do a few sessions and see if we can make progress.i was a bit disappointed because he got the pick up and hold really quick.....I'm just so pleased he is doing it with the dummy shaped toy..... You sound like you are really warming up to the idea of the clicker,good luck x

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I use "walk" too - it means don't pull and don't stop and sniff though, ie, loose leash.

I am thinking about whether I need another command to differentiate between loose leash and a more precise "keep your shoulder in line with my knee" though. The reason is that I am very happy with Charlie's loose leash, and while I increasingly reward shoulder in line with my knee, I don't always insist on it (it's too precise for a long walk, I think it's tiring for Charlie). If I get his attention and look like I might be in the mood to give him a treat, he'll do "shoulder lined up with knee". That'll get us through grade 1, anyway. :-\

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

When we're off lead I have two commands "here" which is my verbal recall and the expectation is Riley comes to me and waits for further instruction and "this way" which means you're going the wrong way (either too far away or in the wrong direction) and that keeps Riley within a limited distance that I'm happy with.

You could do something similar with Charlie when you're walking although I might be tempted to walk a loose lead on something other than his slip lead. Our rule is slip lead means walk to heel, if (as now) he's on restricted exercise he'll go on a fixed lead of some kind either on his collar or harness and that means it's ok to bimble at the end of it but he's still not allowed to pull(occasional reminder required ::) ). Now he's older a 30 minute walk at heel isn't beyond him but at 9 months it would have been.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3565.msg39753#msg39753 date=1386341379]
    You could do something similar with Charlie when you're walking although I might be tempted to walk a loose lead on something other than his slip lead. Our rule is slip lead means walk to heel, if (as now) he's on restricted exercise he'll go on a fixed lead of some kind either on his collar or harness and that means it's ok to bimble at the end of it but he's still not allowed to pull(occasional reminder required ::) ). Now he's older a 30 minute walk at heel isn't beyond him but at 9 months it would have been.
    [/quote]

Useful - thanks. He has been on a flat collar for weeks, we use a flat collar in London because there is still a lunge risk if super distracted and excited and I fear him doing that on a slip lead. It's a really good idea to switch to the slip lead when I want something more precise.

10. Dexter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3565.msg39750#msg39750 date=1386340858]

(it's too precise for a long walk, I think it's tiring for Charlie).
    [/quote]

It is....i found it tiring too ,you have to really concentrate x

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3565.msg39742#msg39742 date=1386339737]
    Helen,I changed my command from Heel to Walk when I started again from scratch ......because I felt in such a mess and I didn't want him to have any of old associations...he'd ignored me saying Heel for so long :(
    I'm reading a clicker training book at the moment and it's helped me understand how you can use the clicker to fine tune an existing command...after the 2 bad mornings I had with Dexter and the cats ,I got my clicker out again just to see if I could tighten up our 'walk' .previously I've not been fussy,as long as he walks on my left side and the lead is slack I'm happy.That night I walked him on the lead and did c&t as he moved into the 'walk' position I wanted,I've done that on 3 walks now and I can see a huge improvement....so I don't think you do need to change your command if you just want to improve it...the clicker will instantly catch the new behaviour you want....
    Helen,I started step 3 of clicker trained retreive today,duration,not good,but I haven't had a lot of spare time today.I have tomorrow so I'll try and do a few sessions and see if we can make progress.i was a bit disappointed because he got the pick up and hold really quick.....I'm just so pleased he is doing it with the dummy shaped toy..... You sound like you are really warming up to the idea of the clicker,good luck x
    [/quote]

Thanks Angela, I just want to improve it, his heel work is not great but I do want to sort it out. If I don't have to change the command I will give it a go, how did you get started with Dexter? I would say I am only luke warm ;D

12. Dexter

[quote author=charlie link=topic=3565.msg39796#msg39796 date=1386348541]
    [quote author=Dexter link=topic=3565.msg39742#msg39742 date=1386339737]

Thanks Angela, I just want to improve it, his heel work is not great but I do want to sort it out. If I don't have to change the command I will give it a go, how did you get started with Dexter? I would say I am only luke warm ;D
    [/quote]

We set off and when his shoulder was level with my leg I did c&t and said 'walk' took a few steps and did another c&t while he was still in the correct position and said walk .he cottoned on quick as he can walk without pulling pretty well now it was just fine tuning.if he moved too far forward i said my usual 'ah ah ' 'walk 'and he moved back into position and I did c&t .I did this for 2 walks, by the 3rd when I told him 'walk ' he got into position on his own and he is more or less staying there...we had a great walk tonight.i still swap him onto his harness when we pass another dog on lead and if they are close to us I have to keep him in a sit because he will pull to get to the dog....he will walk past nicely at distance ....but chicken and 'look at me' is still involved ;D x

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Angela, I will have a go tomorrow and see how we go. :) x

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

One more question, should I use a flat collar ?

15. Dexter

Sorry Helen,I'm so slow at the moment......Dexter still wears his harness but I did this on his flat collar and lead ......which he mostly walks on now( big massive punch in the air ;D) however he still wears his harness ....because sometimes he will take it into his head to pull towards a dog on lead ( still, :mad: no massive punch in the air) so if I think there could be a lunge I'll pop him on his harness and when we go past the cat house I put him on his harness because he will still pull off to get in the bushes.
    How did you get on? X

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No worries Angela, we did pretty well, I put Charlie on a flat collar and lead just in the drive, little bits of cheese, C&T x 2 sessions incorporated into our usual training and he did really well, will keep going with it and hope for an improvement. Thanks for your help. xxx :)

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am slowly warming upto the clicker now ;D Charlie is walking with his head level with my knee looking at me C&T brilliant, BUT still only on our drive way, not venturing outside our gates for a while yet and when I do just up the road. So far so good. :)

18. Dexter

Great helen,it's really clever how it works so well isn't it,glad you are getting your confidence up with it....I bought 2 new ones today,they are going back tomorrow ,absolutely rubbish and the equivalent of a £5 each!
    I have had a dig around and found a spare so I really a on my last one now!x

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's good I admit, but I will give my final verdict when we go beyond our driveway out into the real world ;D

Angela they have many, many clickers on Amazon. :)

20. Dexter

I've got 2 coming over at the weekend thanks Helen.they were on the order with the cat scarers that Jonathan brought over the other week but the amazon delivery just missed him!Poor Lad,he's always carrying something over for me.....think he was quite relieved this year....last year it was a Xmas tree and the year before a kettle and toaster ;D