Do we wait up for the poo????

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Evening everyone! Sorry it's a poo related question...

Bob had a poo at about 4pm today.... he ate at 5.30pm and has had a few wees since. It's now nearly 11pm and he's STILL not had his after dinner poo! He was sick about 1/2hr ago.. just some grass I think lol! Wonder if that has taken the edge of the poo?! Should we wait up do you think? Or assume he's not going to go?!

The big question! Do we stick or twist?! ::)

Lou

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Do we wait up for the poo????

Hmm that's a tricky one... If you decide to wait you could be up for a few hours yet, but if you decide to go to bed you could come down to an accident in the morning.... Could you maybe give another 20-30mins and then head off to bed, with the possibility of getting up in the night to take him out? I think that's what I would do.

3. Loopyloo30

We are planning on getting up at 3am tonight anyway to take him out... I will try and stay up a bit longer then and take him out again one last time and if the fat lady doesn't sing then I'm going to bed! ;D

Thank you!
    Lou x

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

What happened? I usually wait up for a poo, walking around a bit in the garden sometimes helps. There has to be a limit though to how long you wait. The other thing is: will you lie awake wondering if the pup needs to go?
    I do remember waiting up until midnight for the poo then going to bed with peace of mind.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When they are little I wait for the poo or get prepared to get up in the night.

By the time they are four months old they can hold it.

Gypsy is only allowed to go on command or in her spending area, she holds it no problem - just like we do :)

6. Loopyloo30

Morning all! Well my boyfriend got up at 3am, but I don't know as yet if Bob did the deed or not. It's 6.40am now and I've just taken him out and he's had a poo and a wee. Can't tell that there have been any accidents in his crate which is good news.

One another thing that is bugging me slightly is that we were so relieved that Bob went outside to start with that we're letting him go in our grassed area, whereas we had identified a concrete area at the bottom of the garden for him. So he's going on our lawn now which I'm not overly happy with as my little boy runs around on there. Is it too late to start taking him to this new place?

Lou x

7. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

No, I don't think it's too late. How far away is the concrete area? I definitely wouldn't tell him off for going on the grass; I would praise him and gradually encourage him to go on the concrete with extra praise when he does. If it's not when he gets up in the morning maybe when it's not urgent, you could carry him to the area you want and give loads of praise for wee or poo there.

8. Loopyloo30

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=8271.msg116919#msg116919 date=1413353826]
    No, I don't think it's too late. How far away is the concrete area? I definitely wouldn't tell him off for going on the grass; I would praise him and gradually encourage him to go on the concrete with extra praise when he does. If it's not when he gets up in the morning maybe when it's not urgent, you could carry him to the area you want and give loads of praise for wee or poo there.
    [/quote]

I'll take a pic of our garden later.. it is basically divided into 3 levels (hence all the steps). Top level patio outside our house (no go area), grassed level and then a patio at the bottom where the shed is. We identified the patio area as it could easily be cleaned and maintained. Grassed area is more of a play area for us. We put Bob on the patio bit to start with but he just kept going up the steps to the grass. I'm wondering if we could block the steps actually because it's a self contained bit down there and no escape routes so that could be his 'space'. I might do that actually. If he's contained there he'll eventually have to start going and then we can go crazy with the treats afterwards.

Lou x

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think puppies prefer to go on grass than paving. We use a puppy pad outside on our terrace to encourage Willow to go where we want. It works for wee, but she tends to poo in another spot (which is still convenient for us to clear up, so I'm not bothered). Might be worth a try, then when he uses it praise him like mad, and eventually make the pad smaller?

10. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

The million pound question we've all been there I tend to get him out straight after food watch like a hawk if he hasn't gone by bedtime its husbands job to do the stand in garden till he performs ( puppy not husband! )
    Shaming last week as I wandered around garden singing " do wee poo" song and neighbors carer watched was about to explain that Lemmy performs on command most of time when I saw my little crocadog sat in kitchen watching me too! Poor girl must have thought I had toilet issues myself.

11. Loopyloo30

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8271.msg116926#msg116926 date=1413356326]
    I think puppies prefer to go on grass than paving. We use a puppy pad outside on our terrace to encourage Willow to go where we want. It works for wee, but she tends to poo in another spot (which is still convenient for us to clear up, so I'm not bothered). Might be worth a try, then when he uses it praise him like mad, and eventually make the pad smaller?
    [/quote]

Bob goes sometimes on our kitchen/diner floor which is hard but he defintely preferred the grass in the garden. Anyway, I've now managed to cordon off the lower patio area so he can't get out now and up the steps. So we can just take him down there all the time now. He'll has to go there now so hopefully he'll get used to it!

Lou x

12. snowbunny

[quote author=lemmys mum link=topic=8271.msg116933#msg116933 date=1413357725]
    Shaming last week as I wandered around garden singing " do wee poo" song
    [/quote]

I am not familiar with this song. I think as an education to those of us who have never heard it, you should video yourself singing it and post it here ;)

13. lemmys mum

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8271.msg116953#msg116953 date=1413363448]
    [quote author=lemmys mum link=topic=8271.msg116933#msg116933 date=1413357725]
    Shaming last week as I wandered around garden singing " do wee poo" song
    [/quote]

I am not familiar with this song. I think as an education to those of us who have never heard it, you should video yourself singing it and post it here ;)
    [/quote]

Thought everyone knew this classic! Lol of course it has a dance routine that goes with it I may well go on Britain's got talent . x :eek:

14. snowbunny

15. lemmys mum

:) its a great cover but instead of join in if you know it my version goes " mummys special puppy does the poo wee song " justrealized whyLemmy doesn't do his business on walks I only sing it in garden sure no one will notice if I sing it out in public! We also have a belly rub song that goes Belly belly boo belly belly boo I'm going to tickle your belly boo. If I sing this Lemmy lays on back legs in air and wiggles till I do it. I'm only slightly mad promise. X

16. snowbunny

Yes. You sound normal. Perfectly, perfectly normal. :eek:

17. lemmys mum

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8271.msg116968#msg116968 date=1413369648]
    Yes. You sound normal. Perfectly, perfectly normal. :eek:
    [/quote]
    Of course I am the pink elephants told me so. :p

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

lol !!!!

;D ;D ;D

19. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=lemmys mum link=topic=8271.msg116967#msg116967 date=1413369024]
    :) its a great cover but instead of join in if you know it my version goes " mummys special puppy does the poo wee song " just realized why Lemmy doesn't do his business on walks I only sing it in garden sure no one will notice if I sing it out in public! We also have a belly rub song that goes Belly belly boo belly belly boo I'm going to tickle your belly boo. If I sing this Lemmy lays on back legs in air and wiggles till I do it. I'm only slightly mad promise. X
    [/quote]

Charming, only on a puppy thread would that be said. ;D

20. lemmys mum

:) :)