Do you find your dogs sometimes over think things?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Dec 17, 2012.

1. David

David Registered Users

I use the word "close" when I want Lady to come to me or to put on her lead, but it's often associated with keeping her out of trouble with snags like non-doggy people. So now when I call "close" she always has a good scan of the horizon first to see what's coming that could be of interest before she responds. ;D

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Do you find your dogs sometimes over think things?

Yes!
    We are romping through the woods.....I call "Lilly come!".......she checks to see if I am calling her away from an oncoming distraction......if nothings there she romps back to me!
    Of course, should there be a doggy or other type of distraction.......ha,ha,ha,ha,ha......I have to wait until she's done.
    Of course I haven't been following the recall plan with any great rapidity :-[
    No pulling the wool over a labs eyes, indeed No.

Jac

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

ha yes...cuillin has gone through a phase of fear barking at some dogs in the distance, I was calling her back to me with a cheerful 'Cuillin Sausage' and she would shoot back and walk next to me intent on sausage until the dogs had disappeared...shes a lot better now but if I preempt barkage when I see her Big Fear (anything that looks like a lurcher, she was chased by two and is scared of them now) and get sausage out and try to distract her before she has seen them, she wolfs a bit of sausage then whips round and scans the horizon looking for Those Scary Dogs....and barks...

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thanks Debsie.....I now have a brilliant picture in my head of you shouting "Cooling Sausage" whilst out on a walk. ;D
    Bless!
    Even food doesn't distract Lilly when she's on a mission, LOL

Jacqui

5. debsie

debsie Registered Users

haaaaa haaaaa :). Luckily i am now mostly immune to any of the embarassment that seems to be the lot of the labrador owner...especially the owner of a Scaredy Ninny Labrador...the things I do/say in public to distract/reassure the wee ginger lamb.....I have no pride left...

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Debsie, I am almost glad to hear that Cuillin is one of the Scaredy Ninny labradors, as I seem to have one of those, too... I'm going to post her recent exploits on a separate thread, as they are concerning me a bit.

8. David

David Registered Users

I'm looking forward to comparing notes, Karen. Lady is a whimpy nervy Lab too. I thinkit might go with the territory with working dogs.