Do you love them the same?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JenBainbridge, Nov 25, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So me and OH have been considering getting a second dog for some time now.

We are obviously the resident doggy day care of our friends, basically because Stanley is so welcoming he's always happy to have a visitor.

One of my major thoughts about getting a second dog is whether I will love them as much. I adore Stanley, he's my whole world and I just can't imagine loving another the same.

Whenever we look after the dogs, I obviously don't feel the same about them but they're not mine. OH says we'll love them the same because they'll be ours.

So I wanted to ask the multi dog households on the forum..

Do you love them the same? Or do you have a favourite dog?

MF likes this.
  2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I love every new pup, there is no limit to how much love you have :D

3. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I love them the same but for different reasons because like people they all have different personalities :) if OH would allow it I would get a third (dog) :rolleyes: now that Gizmo isn’t so high maintenance.

JenBainbridge and selina27 like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't love them the same; I feel differently about them. I adore them both, but in different ways.

JenBainbridge likes this.
  5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I agree with @Kelsey&Axel , different dog, different love. It's a bit like having kids, when my son was a baby I didn't think I could possibly love anyone like I loved him, but along came his sister and I loved her just the same, she's a different person.
    I think though that sometimes we just"gel" more with a certain dog, just like within a family you can relate slightly differently.

6. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes totally but in a different way. I love Sky’s maturity - her calm, quiet presence. Her companionship. I love Red’s exuberance, her wanting to sit close to me for cuddles, her big puppy body-wagging presence and her quietness too. The love doesn’t always come at once but when it does it’s awesome. You won’t have any problem.

JenBainbridge and selina27 like this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I've loved all mine differently, but definitely as much as each other. Belle was our only dog for years, I thought there could be no others..then along came Scooby and POW! We fell in love. It wasn't instant, but it was strong. And the same for Coco. With Coco, I have become very close to him, more so than the other two, because I am training him every day and that creates a special bond - but the love is as strong as it was for the other two. You and Stanley have enough love for another dog, I'm certain.

JenBainbridge and MF like this.
  8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

And then if you're lucky you'll come across your 'once in a lifetime dog', that very special dog that becomes your soul mate, you can almost read each others minds.

I've had many dogs, always in multiples of either 2 or 3, have loved them all with their different personalities and foibles but none quite as much as Arnie my gorgeous Weimaraner who died over 11yrs ago now.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Absolutely with Mandy on this. Hattie is my first dog but I KNOW she is my 'once in a lifetime dog' so special and my best friend. I love her more than I can express. x

I love Charlie but for different reasons, he brings a different personality to our home. I know I would love a dozen dogs if we had them just in different ways xxx

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

The love I had for Sam was all consuming , a complete bond , special , my rock . I love Nelly too, in a more protective way , wanting to keep her safe in her last ever home . The two very different loves were happy bedfellows x

11. 20180815

20180815 Guest

If Stanley is your soul mate dog, you likely won’t love another the same. But you’ll still love them and enjoy their different personality and quirks and all that makes each dog special. Caring for someone else’s dog is totally different because at the end of their stay, you know they’re going home to someone else so you don’t bond in the same way that you do with your own dogs.

I guess a question you have to ask yourself is why do you want another dog?

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I love all three of mine in a very different way. I'm fiercely protective of Willow. Shadow is my goof that makes my heart sing. Squidge is just adorable. Then there's brave lady Conchita.... :)
    You fall in love with the personality of the individual dog, so each love is different. It's surprising how often people ask which is my favourite, and I can honestly say I don't have one. I might have "my favourite for training" or "my favourite for walking on the beach" etc, but they are all so different, the love isn't comparable.

JenBainbridge and edzbird like this.
  13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I don't have a favourite either, but like @kateincornwall and @snowbunny, I am very protective of Casper and do everything in my means to keep him safe. Benson is a goof, but solid and very affectionate, while Bramble is the one who has probably taught me the most about dogs. :)

14. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Thanks everyone. It does sound like it shouldn't be too much of a concern. I'd just hate to get a second dog and not put as much effort in or prioritise Stanley without realising as I'd want them both to be happy and loved.

I think it's sort of decision time for us in a lot of aspects of our life right now. Obviously me and OH aren't getting old, but we are getting older which means we're having to make decisions about things such as children. And realistically I don't want to cope with another dog and a baby so I'd prefer to have 2 older well adjusted dogs. I'd feel as though Stanley would be fine now with a baby. Which means should we want both, the dog is going to have to come relatively soon.

But I'd feel as though if we wait too long, Stanley might not welcome another dog when he's 9 or 10 as easily as he would now. But who knows?

A lot to think about really :rolleyes:

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

@JenBainbridge My late old wise Yorkshire granddad used to say " If in doubt, do nowt " . This has stood me in very good stead throughout my life . Running alongside this saying, is another one that @drjs@5 said to me when we were considering getting a pal for Sam , she said " whats meant for you wont run by you " So very true, both of them , I truly do believe that something will happen to help your decision , and in the meantime , enjoy your lovely Stanley , we never know whats round the corner xx

Granca and drjs@5 like this.
  16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree, it’s best not to wait too long.

Tatze is great with all the pups, but I reckon the best age was when she was three. She both mothered and played with the pups. Now, at nearly five, she will be persuaded to play but not nearly so easily. She plays a lot with Zaba who she’s always known, but new pups not so much.

If I were considering another dog I’d do it sooner rather than later - I love to watch the relationships between dogs.

:)

17. Granca

Granca Registered Users

My two are very different and both much loved. I wouldn't have chosen just a two year age gap, but they play so well together and enjoy each other's company, which is lovely to see. I sometimes worry about not having enough time just with Wispa to work on her reactivity, but Tuppence is a great character and makes me laugh!

The biggest age gap I've had between dogs is eleven years, when our Tibetan terrier was eleven and we had our first lab puppy, Penny, who breathed new life into him - he lived to be nearly seventeen.

Continue to enjoy Stanley - and just wait and see what turns up!

selina27 likes this.
  18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I had 2 dogs with 18 months between them and it was great. I then had 3 dogs if 14 12 and a pup and that was fine. The care differences didn't cause a problem. All the dogs were well trained to my urban standard and happy souls. Never thought there would be a problem so i didn't let one develop. I loved them all to distraction but they were all very different. Doug was like a old engine rumbly but got there in the end Moo was like a dancing pinemartern and Rory fabulous and cuddly

Granca, selina27 and Beanwood like this.