Does a Labrador need a winter coat?

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Jane Martin, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Does anyone use a winter jacket/coat o their dog? Or is it not needed? :) what would you use and when, if ever?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Does a Labrador need a winter coat?

I don't use anything for Charlie on walks - he doesn't seem to get cold, and we are not hanging around really.

I use a fleece coat after hydrotherapy in the winter, even after the hairdryers because it is quite a long journey, and there is often some hanging around.

I would use a coat at training where a dog is coming out of the car to do an exercise, and go back in (perhaps wet and muddy). To keep them warm during the "down" times. I'd also be careful about them "warming up" before the next exercise though.

So I'd use a coat when my dog was expected to exercise, perhaps get cold and wet, and then hang around for a while. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

3. Merla

Merla Registered Users

I have a tiny (21kg) fairly thin-coated black lab and have never known her to get cold on normal walks, even if she gets wet on a cold day. She does run around a lot though! She was born in May 2013 so she was 4 months old this time last year and was fine all through the winter. The heat of the summer has been a much bigger issue.

As Julie said, coats/towelling bags are useful for working labs who will have periods of very hard work and then be maybe in a parked vehicle for a while, with the potential to get quite cold, then out to work again, or any dog doing something similar. Euquafleece do some good stuff: http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/index.html

But to be honest, if you're doing normal walks and the dog won't get suddenly cold when she stops, I wouldn't think so. I LOVE labrador coats* for the winter- we have a drying off routine when we get in (after hosing if particularly muddy) and after half an hour's steam on a blanket she's fit for polite company again!

*modified to clarify- the ones they were born with!

4. David

David Registered Users

Certainly in the UK climate it never seems to gets cold enough for Lady to need a coat. She's out in all weather including the odd day when she's out all day in driving winter rain. The rain doesn't appear to penetrate her undercoat, and although I've seen spaniels shivering in the wet I've not seen a shivering Lab including Lady. As the others have said, I do use a towelling coat on her if she's sopping wet in the back of the car or when we get in from a walk. I guess it depends on where you are in the world. I guess Canada or northern USA would be a different story.

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

As you know Penny is tiny and lean and she actually has quite a short coat, so I do put a coat on her in the winter. Last winter was our first with her and, certainly in the UK, it didn't actually get that cold compared to previous years.

Penny has two coats. One is waterproof and hi-vis, also padded. This one she wears at night and when it's absolutely pouring it down. She also has an equafleece for when it's just really cold.

If I'm totally honest she probably doesn't really need them but she's small and thin-coated and looks so miserable when it's raining on our walks lol. Also in my head it helps with her joints - keeping her warm keeps her hips from stiffening and causing her pain.

Edited to add: she only wears them in the winter months when I wear a coat myself - I think i run with quite a high body temp so it takes a lot for me to feel the cold - so if I'm wearing a coat, thenPenny does too lol

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, it makes sense it depends on the dog, they are not all going to be the same.

That said, I see from the link Kath posted, that equafleece has introduced its polo neck coats in tiger skin stripes and silver cheetah and loads of other lovely patterns..."sure you aren't cold Charlie? You are, just a little bit? Ok then...antelope or snow leopard?" ;D

Rosie likes this.
  7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi has a fleece coat on at night in the winter. It gets to minus 5 here and although we have central heating it is still relatively cold down at floor level. His own coat is thick but he still seems to appreciate the fleece coat.

I don't use it at any other time routinely, though I will if he is ever competing in Flyball on a cold day - I will put the coat on in between races.

Haha just saw your post about the animal print coats ;D

8. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Puzzle only has one coat and that is a thin waterproof one just to try and keep her most;y dry when it is chucking it down and she needs a walk, it is rarely used.

Barley on the other hand has 3 different coats, even though he has a thick double coat. He has a water proof one that gets put on every time it is raining as his coat get soaked and takes ages to dry. He also has a fleece one that gets put on him if we gets wet or in winter as last winter he refused to go for a walk without it on ::) mainly because he has bad joints and they hurt more in the winter as it is colder and the coat keeps him warm. And finally he has a cooling coat that we use in summer to cool him down as he has got a thick coat so feels the heat more.

It all depends on the dog in question really

9. Penny+Me

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7561.msg105558#msg105558 date=1409298855]
    Yes, it makes sense it depends on the dog, they are not all going to be the same.

That said, I see from the link Kath posted, that equafleece has introduced its polo neck coats in tiger skin stripes and silver cheetah and loads of other lovely patterns..."sure you aren't cold Charlie? You are, just a little bit? Ok then...antelope or snow leopard?" ;D
    [/quote]

Penny actually has two equafleeces, but I told her she's not allowed an animal print one because all the other dogs would laugh at her! :D

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=7561.msg105568#msg105568 date=1409301768]
    she's not allowed an animal print one because all the other dogs would laugh at her! :D
    [/quote]

Understandable. But Charlie's man enough to wear silver cheetah. ;D ;D ;D

Rosie likes this.
  11. Penny+Me

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7561.msg105591#msg105591 date=1409309706]
    [quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=7561.msg105568#msg105568 date=1409301768]
    she's not allowed an animal print one because all the other dogs would laugh at her! :D
    [/quote]

Understandable. But Charlie's man enough to wear silver cheetah. ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Hell yeah he could totally pull that off!

12. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mine have equafleeces which they never wear outside. They are fantastic things to stick on before they get in the car or go back in the house when wet and filthy, which to be honest is every day in the winter. Not only do they get dry and warm quickly, the amount of shake marks up the walls has reduced to zero since they got their fleeces, and as housework/cleaning is not really my thing this is a great bonus. Also, the car doesn't permanently smell of wet dog mixed with fox poo anymore. Win-win.

13. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Our labs do not wear any coats during the winter, and that involves all aspect of the shooting season, mud, rain, snow, ice and water retrieves.
    But they do wear their aqua fleeces in the truck on the way home, and by the time we arrive home they are completely dry.

14. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Meg wears a coat in the winter. I got it just to keep her warm especially her hips. If its raining outside of winter then I don't.

15. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Not planning on getting one for Elsie but the late Molliepops needed one last couple of years of her life when she slowed down and didn't run around so much she started to get cold and stiff on walks so I knitted her a jumper for autumn, and she had a fleece for cold weather and a waterproof for the wet. Betty Chihuahua has a few coats and jumpers and does get cold without them, even has pyjamas for the cooler camping nights.

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

The answer basically is NO - Labradors are called that because they were bred to swim in icy water and work all day long in cold, wet conditions. But some labs don't have such a thick undercoat, and a coat can be helpful when they get old or sick. So it depends on the dog, I guess.

17. David

David Registered Users

Even fine coated Labs are pretty weatherproof, though. Lady has a very fine almost silky coat that's quite thin in places like under her arm pits and on her tummy. When I first started her off shooting I did worry about her getting cold on days where the driving winter rain was almost endless and we, including the dogs, were all soaked. On a number of such occasions I've parted the hair on her back to see if she was indeed wet through, and amazingly her undercoat has always been bone dry.

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We have a Hotterdog fleece (more economic version of the Equafleece) which I hoped would keep Lilly dry and less muddy after morning walks. Didn't really work - legs and back end still grubby :-\
    BRILLIANT for reducing "splash and shake" after a shower though!
    Had to be black though - OH might have divorced me otherwise ;)

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Dogs wearing coats still freaks me out as dogs have fur so why would they need coats and I know those of you that work your dogs say they need to stay warm, never had dog coats in the old days :) must just be me ::) x

ohthatcat likes this.
  20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Some of the *ahem* more experienced dog people I know who've had working dogs for many, many years used to make coats for their dogs out of towelling or old jumpers for when the dogs needed a little help. I think being able to buy off the shelf is probably more recent but coats have been around a while :)