Does a Labrador need a winter coat?

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Jane Martin, Aug 29, 2014.

1. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

What about new puppy :) last night at 7 pm it was -3
    this morning when hubby went to work -5

Should I get puppy a coat as i'm sure his adult fur won't come in for while

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two were puppies in the winter. Not as tiny as Dudley, as they were born in early August. I just restricted the time they were outside playing in the snow. I didn't feel they needed coats. Shadow would sometimes shiver and as soon as I saw that, I'd whip them into the warm.
    I think it's probably different if they get wet, though; the snow here was very dry when they were young, so they didn't get wet. I think there's a higher risk if they get wet when it's cold, so maybe don't let that happen.

3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We got Quinn last January (we are in Canada) and she wore a coat or sweater all winter - we didn't spend a lot of time outside with her at one time, but she would shiver when outside to potty, especially in the evenings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Aww Quinn I love you'r sweater ..... :) :)

Fiona....... It can be rather heavy rain here in Scotland I know wee not going to be walking as such but don't want him to get soaked threw ... or am I being soft .Labs are designed for hardy weather
    x

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I probably am the most hard--hearted person on the forum so consider that when I say I have never put a coat on my dog to go for a walk even in the depth of the coldest winter storm. And I mean cold, it can get to -30 or worse with wind chill. That being said, we are not out for long at those temps! But even at that, Simba doesn't seem to show ill effects. His paws will get cold but they warm up quickly too, which always amazes me. If for some reason he had to be outside for some length of time and wasn't exercising/walking to keep warm I suppose I might consider it but I don't have him outside when it's that cold except if he's with me or is going out to the yard for a toilet.

Snowshoe likes this.
  6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer dives in for a swim not matter how cold it is, any over coat would get soaked. I can see where coats would be sensible.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I use a fleece and drying coats on my dogs. I noticed that if I protected my old boy from from the cold with a fleece his back pain was less and he found it easier to function.

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

All my dogs always had coats - even in California. I just like buying dog clothes. :D

marie11 likes this.
  9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Us too. Oban is so active I would worry more about the coat making him overheat than him getting cold. I can see booties if a dog walks in lots of salt but we don't. Same as Lisa, at -30C we would make a walk shorter maybe, but still go out, coatless and bootless. The winter we got puppy Oban was cold with several days of highs of -30C, lower with wind chill, and his little puppy toesie woesies did get cold so I watched very carefully on those days, but still no boots or coats.

marie11 likes this.
  10. marie11

marie11 Registered Users

Wooow - 30 so from me the other day Scotland was pretty tropical at - 3 and - 6 :) :)

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Ha ha yup...if fact yesterday it was around 0C and I walked by a guy in a T-shirt and shorts washing his truck:eek:

12. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

I saw -30 and immediately thought -30F, haha. But -22F is not that much better. It's pretty temperate where we live and Teller has a rather thin coat, although I believe it would be a lot more of a 'proper' lab coat if we DID live somewhere colder. That being said, the only thing I put on T is a neoprene vest when he is swimming and it's cold. He's been out in snow before and doesn't seem to mind. If it snowed more or got down to those temps, I would put some booties on him, but that's probably it. If the weather gets cold, their coats will compensate, I hear.

13. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Have never put a coat on any of my dogs, though its never been as cold as Canada for example, though snow on several occasions :p

14. Bailey48

Bailey48 Registered Users

The couple of -28 degree days we had seemed to only make her go potty a little faster, and she ate like a horse. Other than that, Bailey hasn't paid any attention to the cold. When it's much below -5, I watch her for signs that her feet are bothering her.