Does your dog groan?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Nov 22, 2012.

1. David

David Registered Users

I'm sure she's bored. Lady quite often lets out a very human groan when she's snoozing in the afternoon. Sounds like "Oh this is so tedious".

Should I try to keep her more active?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Does your dog groan?

Sam does too David, its like a cross between a sigh and a moan ::) His afternoon walk was severely shortened today, given that there are floods and a gale blowing, its quite dangerous out there so he only had a quick 10 mins , he has just done the " bored " moan too :)
    I dont think we need to feel that we must entertain them to be honest , I do sometimes play retrieving games indoors with Sam when the weather is vile, like today , but euqually , I reckon they enjoy being couch potatoes every so often :)

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I think Cuillin gets bored....she groans and lets out a sort of high pitched whine sometimes too...like can we DOOOOO something...I guess its like kids, they have to learn how to entertain themselves sometimes but she seems to want me to be Chief Entertainer...and just to prove this point Brodick has just wandered over and dropped his antler right on the Keyboard while I type and wagged hopefully...he wants me to chase him...

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley only groans occasionally but he does the biggest huffiest sighs in the world :)

I figure he could have it a lost worse so he just has to cope with the down time.

5. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Yup...Monty does the groan routine too ...and it works on me every time....I get to feel guilty and neglectful. :-\. I usually end up taking him for a little walk ...it cheers him up no end when I say "would you like ....." don't even have to finish the sentence. I think I'm very well trained, don't you!! ;D
    Lynda

6. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Got a Groaner here, too...

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Boney groans with deep pleasure when you rub his ears... 8) Poppy gives an odd sort of whistling breath when you stroke her, especially if she is lying down quietly, which I take to mean 'that's lovely, dont stop...' :D

8. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

yep we have big sighs here, occasional groans and Rusty gives a weird whooping squeak when he's asleep that lasts for as long as it takes to get your phone out of a pocket and get the vid cam turned on at which point he sleeps completely silently!

9. kateincornwall

I`m afraid that due to the local flooding here in Cornwall , Sam has been doing quite a fair bit of sighing and groaning ::)

10. David

David Registered Users

Hope you are all ok. Lady and I have just been paddling in the Ashdown Forest.

11. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

much of the garden is under water and we normally walk next to the river so it's been a matter of putting them in the car for a walk in the country park which is saturated but no rivers. I've lost part of my fence and my logs that we were stacked neatly to stop the dogs swimming out are now all over the lawn. But hey we got off lightly - house and body in tact thank goodness.

Here's a shot of the garden yesterday... the post the boat is tied to is normally right at the bank...
    [​IMG]

12. David

David Registered Users

Oh! Hope it doesn't get any worse then. So far we have had prolonged rain but no flooding.

13. kateincornwall

We were in a situation where we were marooned in our village , all roads out were closed due to either fallen trees or flood water, fortunately our home is on higher ground so we were safe but so many surrounding villages have been badly flooded . I feel so sorry for people who have lost everything , in nearby Polperro the flood defences were not man enough and many homes were flooded , my daughter lives in Looe which suffered a landslide and flooding, her home suffered too but thankfully not too badly . I feel very sorry for all the animals , wild and farm who have perished .

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh! That sounds terrible Kate.
    I think we have been quite lucky up here - still lots of rain, but Fife hasn't been so badly affected. And we live up on a hill so usually ok.
    Feel really sorry for everyone who is flooded out :(

jac

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Kate and Carole (and all others affected) - hoping the floodwaters recede soon.

16. David

David Registered Users

i think today is the last of the wet weather for a while.

17. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

I certainly hope so David, it hasn't stopped raining here yet and the water level once again is on the rise (it had dropped back about a foot down my garden yesterday)

18. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Still raining here - and apparently large dollops of the white stuff at the weekend. Nice (said the most sarcastic voice you can imagine ;) ) !
    I hope everyone is safe and not too wet - but then we all have labs so wet is just part and parcel ;D

19. David

David Registered Users

Wet does not describe it. Deep mud here in Lingfield but thankfully no flooding.

20. kateincornwall

Same here David , wading through mud is heaven for Sam , not so great when it squelches into your wellies :) Amazes me how many owners seem to disppear off the radar when the weather is bad , theres a little group of us in our village who go out with so many waterproofs on that we crackle when we walk :)