Doesn't Eat Much

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by laggybunny, Aug 14, 2019.

1. laggybunny

laggybunny Registered Users

I have had my pup Waverly for 5 days and she is not big on food. She eats but just kind of picks at it. She is currently eating the same food her breeder had her on. Even with training she would rather her favorite toy be her reward than a treat.

She had a thorough checkup at the vet and she is perfectly healthy.

I am a bit worried about her food intake though. With her current food she should be eating around 2 cups of food per day but she is eating MAYBE 1.5 cups.

She is active and playful and seems normal.

Should I be worried about her not being interested in food?

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

If she’s had a vet check and all is ok , don’t worry. The food manufacturers always over estimate what they should be eating, Meg would be overweight if I fed what they advised. Just make sure you are factoring treats and pick up food after a short while if it’s not eaten. Her appetite will change when she has a growth spurt:)

Ryakki likes this.
  3. laggybunny

Awesome thank you! I'm hoping to transition her to a raw diet soon. That is what my other dog eats since I don't really trust kibble companies all that much. I've just never encountered a slow eater or picky eater as far as puppies go.

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

If you've only had her 5 days, she may just be settling in and not thinking about food much at the moment. Don't offer her different amazing things, and don't overfeed her - just offer her food at meal times and remove any she doesn't eat. Don't offer more till the next meal time.

And @Edp is right - the guidelines given by manufacturers are always too generous, so ignore those. Take whatever amount she eats as being an indication of what she needs and offer her only that...

5. jessica c.

jessica c. Registered Users

I’ve had my lab pup for 10 days and for the first 5 he was having the same issue. It would take him all day and all night to finish his 2 1/2 cups of kibble.
    This made potty training harder because I wanted to leave the food out until it was gone but that meant he would need to relieve himself about a half dozen times a night.
    I ended up watering down his kibble on day 5 and immediately we had the total opposite problem – he would eat each meal in the blink of an eye. I don’t know why this had such an affect on his appetite, or maybe it was just coincidence, but maybe it could help your pup?
    He’s moving back towards dry kibble now but I find the softer it is the more he goes crazy for it. He gets his food broken up into three meals a day now and it’s taken away (empty and devoured) a few hours before bed. No accidents at night for two days now and only two bathroom breaks each night!

6. maryannshowalter

maryannshowalter Registered Users

Oh, great question! I've had my two for 6 days now (8 weeks old), same challenge. I've never seen any form of dog eat that slow.

7. laggybunny

I've been putting her food down for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. I tried the water trick and she was not interested.

I will definitely start just offering the amount she eats. She has been eating slightly more than she was.

She is only offered her kibble and one "special" treat as part of her training. I don't offer her anything else.

8. JaygoDolding

JaygoDolding Registered Users

With all my puppies I start them off on the breeders food and add warmed goats milk, soaked in for 5 minutes.
    Then after a week or so I slowly reduce the goats milk until they're eating dry.