1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Dog bed recommendations please

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by sophmiller, Sep 21, 2014.

1. sophmiller

sophmiller Registered Users

I have a 13 week old labrador and he's outgrown his puppy bed. I need a recommendation for what to get him next (ideally something that will last) as he's rather keen on adopting the sofa as his new bed :-\
    i've seen nice beanbag type things that look quite good, where do they come from? Are they good?

Thank you!

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Dog bed recommendations please

I had a lovely bed that was shared by Chepi and the cat but the problem is ... CHEWING! Maybe something to consider when buying your bed. The one I have (now awaiting stitching) was inexpensive from Pets at Home but was an RSPCA product. Maybe you could check their on-line shop. :)

Graciegirl likes this.
  3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly has always favoured a beanbag, either covered with a towel, blanket or piece of vet bed - the latter at present is really good as it gives more stability to the beanbag. The beanbag is one I was given as a 21st birthday gift by my brother many moods ago and is still going strong (good old John Lewis)
    She is NOT a chewer though.
    Burst beanbags make BIG messes.

I think personally an inexpensive soft fabric type bed, that can be machine washed, with some added blankets/fleeces is the best option, and really what we started with. After a while, consider upgrading to a beanbag style or more expensive memory foam perhaps.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I gave up with fabric beds due to chewing and bought plastic oval shaped ones with fleece lining and sherpa fleece for extra warmth during the winter. We have had them for well over 2 years and they will last forever :) x

6. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

We have just bought a tuff mutts bed, Elsie has chewed every bed so far and this looks less chewable. Her original plastic bed she chewed into razor sharp edges which were most uncomfortable when you brushed against it. I have lost count of repairs on her other soft beds and decided to invest in something a bit tougher.

Will report back when we see how she gets on with it.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It does depend on whether your pup will chews beds - at 13 weeks, you might not know really. Charlie started Olympic chewing training as his big teeth started emerging (although he always chewed) and didn't stop until quite recently (he is 18 months now).

I went from puppy bed to grown up bed in one step - memory foam for us, which I've had about 14 months now and am pleased with. Charlie was a bad chewer, but not of beds. I think soft things were not challenging enough for him. ::) He'd chew the floor and things instead.

I like the idea of the bed Naya links to with the sealed inner cover - the only problem I have with the memory foam beds I have is that the hair seems to go through the outside fleece cover, and get stuck on the inside cover. So I have to wash both. Which is a faff.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I am a bit of a dog bed hoarder!!

For me the best is a plastic bed with vet bed or matress.

I also have a Tuffie - which is 20 years old and still going strong! (This is my niece's Springer, Bryn sitting on it) I drape vet bed on it for comfort.

But ours insist on sharing the bed in the day so I got a Wolfy bed which will fits them both better. I don't think it will last anything like as long - I have had the plastic one for 15+ years! But the Wolfy bed does wash well :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this lovely bed for Gypsy, but she grew out of it within a week!

[​IMG]

Here is the Wolfy bed - they love it, and so do I! They can stretch out, but it keeps the draughts out. Big dogs need to be able to stretch their long legs out, I think :)

[​IMG]

We also have bits of vet bed all over the house! :) :)

[​IMG]

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

sorry i cant help you :( i have had well over 20 beds, jasper was not a chewer but loves to burst beds and cushions, bought a plastic one he would not go in it, he is 21 month old and only this week as burst another cushion it drives me insane :)
    would love to see him all comfy on a nice soft bed

10. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

[quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=7927.msg111632#msg111632 date=1411292287]
    We have just bought a tuff mutts bed, Elsie has chewed every bed so far and this looks less chewable. Her original plastic bed she chewed into razor sharp edges which were most uncomfortable when you brushed against it. I have lost count of repairs on her other soft beds and decided to invest in something a bit tougher.

Will report back when we see how she gets on with it.
    [/quote]

Well we have had it for a couple of days and Elsie last night found the Velcro that closes the cover and we got up to find it looked like it snowed in the bedroom she had shredded the inner cover quite easily and we had white foam bits everywhere, the outer cover is undamaged though so we are hoping to repair it. But indestructible it isn't !

11. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

We bought one of these beanbags for Mira as I was ordering a hooman one at about the time she was needing a grown-up bed and they had an offer on!
    http://www.beanbagbazaar.co.uk/poi-dogr-bean-bag-dog-bed-black-med-lrg.html

We had a problem (not serious) with the cover so they sent a replacement one. Except they sent a medium instead of a large. So then they sent a large and we ended up with 3 covers & liners! They told us just to keep them all :) We bought some extra beans so we have a large and small one in use plus a spare cover :D

Mira was never much of a bed chewer (occasional nibble of blankets in her cage) so I can't vouch for how they'd stand up to that, but they are pretty hard wearing. We have a piece of vet bet on the top for easy washing, but the covers are washable too.

12. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

We've got an Orvis mattress. They have a range of beds but are expensive although the bed has withstood quite rough treatment and is still as good two years later.

13. LabLover1962

LabLover1962 Registered Users

I have just got a 1 Yr old rescue called Layla and she has pretty much eaten her bed to pieces. Does anyone know if the danish design dog beds are any good its just I have read they are tough and they are a really good price on www.dogsbestfrienduk.com

Please reply as I need to know asap!!

Thank you everyone.

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have a Wolfy bed but don't really like it as I cannot see how to wash it! I have a Meg Bed which are my favourites and two Tuffie mattress type beds with fleece zip on covers.

@Boogie, have you washed your Wolfy bed?

15. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

My two have HiK9 beds which they love and have made no attempt to chew, I just chuck a piece of vetbed on top.

bbrown likes this.
  16. Boogie

it depends on the dog!

Twiglet has destroyed every bed (including a Tuffies bed which lasted 4 dogs and 18 years) except a plastic bed lined with vet bed and blankets.

:rolleyes:

bbrown likes this.
  17. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I got a wolfy bed and it was fine but it ended up looking very tatty even after washes. I washed the outside bit and the rubberised coating came to pieces in my washing machine :(

I've got a plain rectangular piece of memory foam from pets at home and various pieces of vet bed. They're the only things that have survived. The memory foam has a plastic cover and a fleece cover.

I'm thinking of getting a hik9 bed as I've heard good things about them and there's no padding involved to go all lumpy!!!!

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

@bbrown, look at Meg Beds, Overhill Kennels. Claire has these and I think they are great. I tried to copy the website address, but my laptop refused to do it!

bbrown likes this.
  19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I bought a wolfy bed for Charlie about 4 years ago - he ATE it!! :eek: I gave up and got inexpensive plastic oval beds and bought Tuffie thick fleece liners with a cushion in the bottom. They stretch out the full length of the bed and look very comfy. The liners wash and dry beautifully, well worth the money and will last for many more years :) Brilliant!

20. Boogie