Dog bedding and barking

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by mummyp85, Nov 4, 2019.

1. mummyp85

mummyp85 Registered Users

Two separate issues all but wondering if anyone got any good tips on the following issues. 1) Bedding. Hero has developed issues around his in house bedding. He has never taken to th various fleeces and commercial bedding on the market always shredding it to bits. So I use old blankets and bedding from my linen cupboard and he has up to recently always settled on them. In the last few weeks however all he wants to do is pull them apart or completely remove them from where he is going to settle. Nothing has changed regarding cleaning them, etc. Haven't moved them to different place, have tried going back to basics and encouraging him to sleep on them but he's having none of it. The only place he will accept anything without destruction mode is when he travels in the car. With winter onset bit concerned for him laying on chilly hard flooring. Any ideas welcome.
    2) since learning he had a lovely loud voice, Hero has one real barking issue. He always barks at neighbours car door at 6 am. Have tried all tips and advice I can find on site and forum. The bark, no bark is coming on good for all other situations where barking is not preferable but also when it's ok. But this car door thing is a real issue now. He only barks at it if inside house. Have taken him outside and he doesn't bark at it. But even after neighbour has gone and we eventually return inside, he will then start barking again. The car door is obviously a trigger at that time if day but don't a quite know how to get round it. Distraction doesn't work. He doesn't bark at any other car doors all day. We've had him walk by as neighbours car door opens and closes and he doesn't bother. Praise and treat isn't working. But now it's causing issues waking other people up in street because he will bark continuously and loudly for about 10 minutes. Have tried taking for a walk at that time but barking starts when we get home. It's become a behaviour which not seeming able to break. Any ideas welcome.
    Thank you

2. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

I know you say you've tried fleece but have you given Vetbed a go? It is literally the only thing Loki doesn't destroy. I recommend a raised bed (zooplus do one for about £20 if you're UK based) there's nothing to get hold of. I put a piece of vet bed on top as it's easy to wash and dry .
    Not sure what to say about barking- we're ok during the day - I acknowledge the barking distract and treat. Nights are becoming a real problem though - lots and lots of foxes around so he's waking us up in the middle of the night pretty frequently. No idea what the solution is to be honest.

3. mummyp85

Thank you Ruth. I'll look into the bedding. Got to try something.

4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

mummyp85 likes this.
  5. mummyp85

Ha ha are you sure??? Will have a look thank you