Dog Chewing bedding

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Atemas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Red is now 10 months. Just recently she has started chewing her bedding. She managed to chew the edge of a nice crate mat whilst we were out. We came home to her crate full of pieces of foam and she was sat in the middle of it with a piece of foam sticking out her mouth :oops:.

This morning she chose to go back in her crate after breakfast - unusual. I looked in and the lovely beach towel I have put in there has nice holes in it :confused:. I will have to take it off her as she will just work away at it and I am bothered she will eat bits.

I do remember Sky doing similar things at this age so I know it will stop. What bothers me is what to keep using in her bed? I have one beach towel left she can have but if she starts on that I don’t know what to give her. I tried vet bed when she was very little but she chewed that then.

Any suggestions?

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Vet bed or nothing. I had problems with Rory too.

Atemas likes this.
  3. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanleys chewed 5 beds.

I gave up and got him a hard plastic one with blankets in.

At 18 months he's just been given a nice big fluffy cushion to go in it. He's had that about 3 weeks and so far so good. If it stays we might consider a nice bed again :rolleyes:

Atemas likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I find vet bed the best by far - the stuff with a rubbery back. It washes and dries easily and quickly and they don’t seem to like to chew it :)

Atemas likes this.
  5. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Just ordered some so we will give it a go.

6. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I use vet bed as well, Ripple has chewed it a little but mostly he leaves it alone.

:angel: So trusting - :rofl:

JenBainbridge likes this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I've been eyeing up the Orvis beds for a Christmas prezzie... they look so comfy!! :)

8. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Ripple has use of an Orvis bed that belonged to my previous boy. It's in the lounge so it's only used in the evening under supervision. He looks so comfortable in it that I feel guilty turfing him out of it at bed time :rolleyes:.

snowbunny likes this.
  9. JenBainbridge

This is what I want for Stanley. But you know the little turd is leading me into a false sense of security like peasant please :rolleyes: I only eat £300 beds. Not crappy £12 cushions.. I have taste you know!

selina27 and snowbunny like this.
  10. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Ooh they are all lovely. Need to get through this chewing phase however long that takes before I risk spending a lot on beds. Red has even nibbled Sky’s cushion a bit in the corners :rolleyes:

11. snowbunny

12. JenBainbridge

It's the second one I want to get stanley!

13. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Good heavens that's a nice bed!! I would buy one for my Lab but his problem is he would just hump it to oblivion :eek::rolleyes: He went through a phase of doing it, stopped for months and I thought - ooo he outgrew it! And now he's back to it, so he isn't left unsupervised with anything like a bed or even blankets that he can bunch up :rolleyes: He's a mad humping fool if it's bedding. Doesn't hump anything else though thankfully, so I will count my blessings.

Atemas likes this.
  14. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

Vetbed or Vetfleece.

Getting hold of it here is both difficult and expensive, but we still use it because it is so good.

Would recommend buying a roll of the stuff, as it is easy to cut to the length you need.

Atemas likes this.
  15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson has just sausage eaten Bramble's Orvis bed. It is repairable, but I have shoved it under the stairs for now @Atemas welcome to my world!:D:D
    I am going to order a hiK9 bed for Benson next and just top it with vetbed :)

snowbunny likes this.
  16. snowbunny

To be honest, I'm pretty sure the Orvis bed will end up being for me, as the three dogs take over the sofas :D

selina27 likes this.
  17. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Oh blimey - these dogs :confused:

18. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Red chewed a huge hole in the last beach blanket during the night so that’s gone in the bin. (She also cried out and I went down and took her outside where she had a very squitty poo!) I have bought some rubber backed vet bed but not put it in her crate yet. Might just spray the edges with bitter apple before I put it in.

I might be wrong but the last two times she has chewed the towels and had diarrhoea in the night, we have been out in the evening (only for a couple of hours) and left her in her crate with a kong. I think the meat in these gets on the towels and then of course she wants to chew. Who knows, suppose we are always looking for reasons why. The two things might not even be linked.

19. Lara

Lara Registered Users

When we got the Pig at 9 months she was a huge chewer. I was at my wits end. She destroyed and swallowed any soft thing I put in her crate, including a ‘guaranteed unchewable’ Orvis bed. Vet bed was the worst, she liked to rip the fluff off the base with her teeth. Even now, she doesn’t chew anything and sleeps on a nice soft ‘big girl bed’, but vet bed sets her off in a chewy humpy frenzy. The only think that saved our sanity was a kurunda bed (a hard frame with a tough canvas hammock bit) that she couldn’t chew. It probably isn’t the most comfy thing in the world but the only alternative was a bare metal crate floor! Once she was older and had grown out of chewing, she got to sleep on the nice squishy topper that came with it and she thought she was in heaven :)

Plum's mum and Atemas like this.
  20. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Yep, absolutely, I remember now that the only time Cassie has chewed bedding it was due to exactly this. Apart from the time she pulled open the zip and got all the filling out :)

Atemas likes this.