Dog friends

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Sep 14, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Do yours have best friends ?

Sam has a friend called Yorkie , a four year old Chocolate Lab , they first met when Sam was about 12 weeks old and have adored one another ever since . They love playing the two ball game , Sue and I each throwing a ball to see which one gets them both , it makes their day when they see one another .
    Recently , Yorkie was diagnosed with cruciate problems and is on short walks only, most onlead to see if surgery can be avoided and so they havent seen one another for a while until this morning .
    I had taken Sam and Millie to a little used right of way through a small field , both off lead as it was 7.30 a.m. when I spotted Sue and Yorkie heading our way , knowing that Yorkie is castrated I wasnt worried .
    Sam and Yorkie saw one another at the same time , it was so sweet to see their joyous greeting , both making little squeeky noises of delight :)
    Unlike Sam , although castrated Yorkie was very interested in Millie who behaved shamelessly, but a lovely time was had by all , best friends :)

2. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: Dog friends

aw bless them! that is lovely they are such good buddies. Cuillin and brodick are best buddies, but cuillin has quite a few dog mates but really really adores a gorgeous cross gsd/retriever rescue boy we met about a year ago. Whisky. he adores her too and when they meey they go ballistic racing about then they lie down and lick each others faces and generally get Loved Up. brodick hates this as he only has eyes for cuillin and me when we are out. he loves his Girls! .while hes friendly to other dogs he doesnt really play with them, he just adores cuilli and has no other buddies in edinburgh. but he loves my sisters two tarkie and lochan and loves playing with them. both c and b spent their first few weeks with tarkie and lochan as we all stayed at my sisters for the first few weeks of puppydoms, sothey both bonded with them from an early age. brodsie is a pack boy i think, just likes his wee pack of three, and his extended pack in newcastle. funny how they are all different....

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

No best friend here....Dexter will play with anybody unless he is told to back away and he only needs telling once,he doesn't get disgruntled!we have 2 regular walks though with a white German shepherd Loco ,the same age as Dex and Dexters cousin Barni,a black lab and his adopted cousin Tam a cocker ...Dex and loco play fight,Dex starts it and Loco is so sweet natured he tolerates it for a bit them gets his courage up and gives it back,so Dexter runs away and he is so fast loco just sits down and barks at him!!
    Dexter runs alongside leggy Barni stuck to his shoulder like Velcro,they look funny,yellow and black and tall and short,must get a photo!Gus the Dalmatian is another firm favorite and whilst we don't arrange to walk we text if we are both in a local park.Gus is 2...... They both lie down still in greeting and if I tell dexter it's ok to go play he always stays in a lie down until Gus makes the first move .......then they run and play together lovely,although Gus does have food issues......

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie very best friend is Harry also a Labradoodle, they have known each other since they were puppies as we are neighbours and they adore each other. Harry never plays with any other dog but when he sees Hattie it's like love at first sight each time and they play endlessly :* Charlie doesn't have any friends apart from his adored Hattie I don't think he really knows how to react to any other dogs, such a shame as I really think he needs another pal :( Helen x

5. Dexter

Ah I think YOU are Charlie's world too Helen x

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy is a complete tart and will play wildly with any dog she sees... She has loads of friends and has great social skills - if she were a human she'd be one of the popular girls in class ;)

Only thing is, when we have a dummy along, she drops all her doggy friends totally dead, won't even give them eye contact. They come running up, all eager for a game, and she totally, but totally, ignores them... Funny little thing!

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Karen, you could have been describing Sam , he will also happily romp with Yorkie or any other dog for that matter until he sees either his dummy or ball , then the other dogs just pale into insignificance ;D

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi's best friend is a tricolour BC (blue merle and chocolate, very striking boy) called Charlie. We are friends with Charlie's human, plus Charlie and Obi go to the same daycare. As well as daycare Obi has just started at a new dog play group place where they take the dogs on a group walk then they all have an hour long play session. Charlie also goes there. This link shows a pic of Obi (the yellow Lab) and Charlie (the colourful BC lying next to Obi) after their play session, ready for the drive home. They look like they've had a good time :)

http://www.pups4fun.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IMG_8641_640x4801.jpg

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

They all look pooped ;D

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hee hee - they look shattered! Like teenagers the morning after a party... ;D

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Obi looks like he has a big smile on his face :)

12. Oberon

[quote author=Karen link=topic=2557.msg25873#msg25873 date=1379325929]
    Hee hee - they look shattered! Like teenagers the morning after a party... ;D
    [/quote]
    Ha - that's exactly what it looks like, party aftermath ;D

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

No friends for Simba here.... :(

He never gets to play with dogs. I wish I could find a friend for him! There is a new off-leash dog park that opened up while I was gone this summer - been there once since I've been back and he had a bit of a run around with another dog but there were only a few dogs there and none really interested in playing.

Hoping to try it again to see how it goes.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'd give it another go...

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Any friends to arrange a "play date" with?
    Rather than hoping to see someone ad-hoc?

16. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

So funny when we meet a dog and Amy wants to play and its not interested in her! ( they seem more interested in whatever I have taken out for her treats!)

No friends for Amy yet.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=2557.msg25955#msg25955 date=1379354866]
    but there were only a few dogs there and none really interested in playing.

[/quote]

Charlie tries to play with any dog he meets (unless they growl, or are bullies or are bitches in season - long may that last ::)). But lots of adult dogs don't want to play and tolerate him for a few minutes, then I can almost see them thinking "O go away, you annoying child". Adult Labradors are definitely the best, he had a romp around with a grand old lady of nine this evening, and she looked to be enjoying it. And two 3 year olds we meet on the beach act like 6 month old pups with him (for a while, anyway). Just depends on who you meet.

Having said all that, some cocker spaniels at any age can out play him!

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's funny, I don't have any friends with dogs at the moment....or if they have dogs, they are old dogs and not too interested in this young pup; or they are little Poms or pampered dainty things whose owners certainly don't want them near Simba!

Yes, I am going to try to try the dog park again and hope for better results.

19. Dexter

20. Oberon

Mutual admiration for sure :)