Dog ID Tag

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by 46heritageway, Jan 2, 2015.

1. 46heritageway

46heritageway Registered Users

Hi Everyone,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hope everyone is well!

We bought Ozzie an ID tag before we got him off eBay, but its become hard to read and it's just not very good, I think the saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice" so I was looking for two bits of advice really:

1) Where is the best place to buy a ID tag from?

2) What should it say? I know this is a bit of mine field because some people say one thing and other people say another but currently it says:
    Ozzie,
    1st line of address,
    post code,
    home phone number,
    I'm Chipped

Any help would great?

Thank you :)

Katie x

2. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Re: Dog ID Tag

I had the same problem. So I bought two round discs from identitag.co.uk.

Sorry no good with putting in links.

Cupar lost his, so I have this week ordered two of their tags that fit on their collar. The cost is under £11 for both including delivery. These tags have the engraved bit "painted" in so even I can read them without my specs.

As to what to put on them is up to you. My preference is: my surname, mobile no, home no and I also put microchipped engraved as well, as both dogs are microchipped.

I don't know why I never got the collar tags to begin with as those dangly ones must be a nuisance to a dog.

3. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I have surname, 2 numbers, area I live. I didn't fancy having her name on there in case she was stolen etc or my address.

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I would add your mobile number too. I got mine from Pets at Home and seems to be wearing well.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

From http://www.yourdogsneeds.co.uk/dog-tags-and-the-law-a-83.html

"In the UK, the Control of Dogs Order 1992 states that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but we would recommend this).

You can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag

You do not have to put your dogs name on the tag, this is optional. Unfortunately dog theft is a real danger and if the thief knows the name of your dog this may help them pass on the dog to the unsuspecting new owners because it appears they know the dog because the dog responds to their name. We would therefore recommend, you do not put your dogs name on the tag."

I'm not in the UK, so what I have is: My mobile, Hubby's mobile, town name, Microchipped
    I figure mobile numbers are more important than home ones, because if we've lost a dog, we'll be out looking for it!! "Microchipped" is similar in all local languages, so I figure that's the second most important thing, after phone numbers.

I have separate ones for when we visit the UK with them, which have: My mobile, my sister's mobile, my sister's town, Microchipped

6. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

I got ours from Anibase which is where their microchips are from, so it lets people know they are chipped, then we have surname, house number, postcode, landline & mobile number. Def not names in case they get stolen. We paid around £9 each and they seem very durable.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't have tags. I have details on the collar which are: house number, postcode, mobile number.

I don't have names, but only because there is no space. No-one needs a name to steal my dog, a bit of steak would do it.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9339.msg134090#msg134090 date=1420224357]
    I don't have tags. I have details on the collar which are: house number, postcode, mobile number.

I don't have names, but only because there is no space. No-one needs a name to steal my dog, a bit of steak would do it.
    [/quote]

Charlie has expensive tastes! Mine would go for a bit of stale bread. Or, even better, frozen vomit, it appears. :eek:

9. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Charlie has expensive tastes! Mine would go for a bit of stale bread. Or, even better, frozen vomit, it appears. :eek:
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Maisie prefers fresh vomit!

10. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I got mine from a local keycutter.

11. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I got Penny a red dingo one, it's fantastic! I also got it from a website that ink filled the engraving so it is so easy to read.

Ours says:
    MICROCHIPPED
    House number, postcode
    My mobile number
    Husbands mobile number

I was advised against putting the dogs name on there as someone said it makes them easier to steal as people can call them by their name.... Not sure I totally agree with that, but I don't have her name on there anyway. I also don't put our surname on as people might think it's her name!!

12. 46heritageway

46heritageway Registered Users

Thanks for your replies!

We have now ordered two new ones from Red Dingo, so we have a spare :)

We went with:

I'm Chipped
    House number, Postcode
    My Mobile
    Boyfriends Mobile

Thanks again everyone :)

13. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I have

My Surname
    The word "Chipped"
    My Phone Number

Th old idea of putting as much info as you can on ther is from a bygone age. If the dog is chipped & the tag says as much all the info is already on there.

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

15. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Just to add, if you're thinking of doing any KC good citizen awards I think they check the details conform to legal requirements i.e. Owners name and address. I got these ones, and they've worn well and are very clear:
    http://mybowwowtag.com/kennelclubs/selectSize/154

Our tags have my surname, first line of address, postcode and my mobile on one side and the dog's name and 'I'm chipped' on the other. Someone a while ago made a good point about putting a mobile number on rather than a home phone, as if you lost your dog out for a walk and it was found quite quickly you may still be out looking, not sitting at home!

I think the thing about having the dog's name on it making them easier to steal would be irrelevant with my dog, who is everyone's friend, especially anyone with treats. And if someone is close enough to read the name on the collar, they basically have their hand on the dog's collar anyway! Also, she's so treat-orientated it would take about 10 minutes to teach her a 'new name'. I made a conscious decision to put my dog's name on as I figured if she got lost and found, the finding person using her name might make her a bit less stressed (this is probably rubbish too mind, but if the worst happens I feel like it might be a small comfort).

It will be interesting to see if the tag legal requirements change when chipping becomes compulsory in April 2016.

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Thanks for this thread...it's made me realise I can get something for Dex saying that he is chipped since his chip has migrated to his chest....I'm always nervous it could be missed....some right dodgy vet practices out here! ???

17. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

I've never liked the jingle or look of dangly tags, so I've always gotten name plates that rivet right onto the collar. I have two plates on each dog collar. One has my last name and then 3 cell phone numbers (mine, hubby's, and local friend); the other has the word "microchip #" followed by the microchip number and the company's phone number. Minnesota doesn't have laws about required info (that I know of!), so this works fine.

I also seldom put collars on my dogs unless I'm taking them off the farm. I use a slip collar like the one in the photo when we go for on-leash walks in town. They both respond very well to the whistle and return quite nicely when they're out loose in the field with me. I'll put a bell on Henry at times, just so I hear where he went! He goes really far, really fast, but always returns to the whistle.

[​IMG]Slip collar with brass nameplates by carpenternp, on Flickr

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I like the jingle - then I know where they are even in bushes! :)

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=9339.msg134367#msg134367 date=1420304627]
    I like the jingle - then I know where they are even in bushes! :)
    [/quote]
    I like it too! I know it drives some people mad though!

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have my name, address, home number, mobile number, I am microchipped and a silly little message on the back :) but NOT my dogs names.

I also love the jingle of tags and have a Falcon Bell on Charlie's collar so that we know where he is which thankfully isn't too far these days :) :) xx

Upto a £5,000 fine for no ID Tag!!