Dog Name tags

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JenBainbridge, Dec 27, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley has got a new collar so I thought I'd get him a nice posh new name tag to go with it.

IMG_9719.JPG

Since I got home OH said that it shouldn't say Stanley on it but should say Mayos - our surname. So I googled it and that looks to be right.

But the machine in the pet shop said dogs name and his last one had his name on.

So I just wondered what you all have on yours?

2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

A lot!
    One side says 1st line of address and postcode, land line and mobile number
    On the reverse, it says 'needs daily medication, chipped'
    But not his name.

JenBainbridge likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

same kind of think as leejane
    Surname, House number, postcode.
    2 mobile numbers
    Chipped and spayed.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We have different laws here, so I have our two Andorran phone numbers and "Soldeu, Andorra" (the town we live in here), then our two Spanish numbers and "Benissanet, Espanya" (where we are in Spain), and "Microchipped". I have separate tags with my UK mobile and sister's phone and her town in the UK for when we're over there.
    I figure once they have that information, the dogs can be traced. They're also registered with Animal Tracker in the UK as well as the Andorran and Spanish registers.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Nelly has one, it has the first four letters of our surname plus post code , and on the reverse it has our phone number ,plus chipped and spayed.

6. JenBainbridge

It's got our address and my phone number on the back.

OH was just saying something about if someone steals him they'll know his name. But surely if someone was going to steal him they'd steal him regardless o_O

7. snowbunny

I don't think the name thing matters in the slightest. Most people who get rescue dogs change their names anyway. Does your Labrador need his name called to go up to someone? Hmmm, I think a bit of sausage would probably suffice.... or the offer of a tummy rub. Nah, if someone's going to steal your dog, they'll steal him regardless of whether they know his name.

8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Ours has dog's name our surname and full address on one side, home, mobile and vet's telephone number on the other.

I've always included the vets number as hopefully if there were ever an accident and I wasn't around or also injured someone would be able to get my dog to his own vet, or another vet could get hold of their records quickly.

9. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Having just done the kennel club awards and having to memorise the tedious ‘dog rules’, apparently in the U.K. it should be your name, and address and post code. Phone number isn’t legally required but is probably the most useful to have! I used to have ‘microchipped’ on mine too but if a lost dog is taken to the vets or something I think they would scan for a chip regardless.

10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Maybe it's a US thing, but when I didn't have Brogan's name visibly on his tag it would frustrate people. It was a pretty common habit on the dog beach to check a dog's collar for his name so you could then start holding a full conversation using the dog's proper name. I suspect this may be a hippy-dippy Santa Cruz (California) thing. ;)

Brogan's collar had his CA assistance dog tags plus his rabies and ID tags. His name on one side, my last name and German and US mobile numbers, plus a plastic 'write on' tag with a local emergency number for Spain (or where ever we were at the time) and email. He also had 'reward if found' info in several languages tucked into his vest. I was a very paranoid dog mama!

JenBainbridge and drjs@5 like this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

Oh, forgot to say: very handsome new collar and tag, Mr. Stanley! :)

12. snowbunny

They do, but a friend's dog was knocked down and they couldn't find the chip when they scanned him because it had relocated (quite common, I believe). So at least if your tag says the dog is chipped, they may try harder to find it if it's not obvious.

JenBainbridge and Lara like this.
  13. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

We have surname, postcode and mobile number and microchipped on our tag. The advise is not to have dog's name on a tag as it could help in the theft of the dog - a dog may be enticed by a bit of sausage but is even more likely to happily walk off with someone using their name.

14. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Ah good point! Gosh I didn’t know they could relocate.

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

When i was Speaking to someone working to fight dog theft they recommend putting the dogs name on. As the thevies often use the name making the dog easier to track. Thevies are not bright they are lazy and keep the same name.

MF, JenBainbridge and snowbunny like this.
  16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They do and stop working it can cause big problems

17. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

One side has our surname, 1st line of address and postcode (i.e. what's required legally).

Other side has all our phone numbers (mobile and landline), and Pongo's name. That side has been really useful - on the two occasions he has wandered off, someone has found him and phoned us.

I've no worries about a potential thief knowing his name; I am absolutely sure they could call him anything they like, as long as there was sausage involved. Or cheese. Or biscuit. Or kibble. Or bread. Or chicken.

drjs@5, Naya, JenBainbridge and 2 others like this.
  18. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

A stranger could just pretend they had food in their hand and Monty would follow them.

drjs@5, JenBainbridge and Rosie like this.
  19. JenBainbridge

That's why I looked at OH like o_O when he said it.

I was like do you know our dog at all? He would go with anyone for a pat on the head. Most trusting dog ever :rolleyes:

snowbunny likes this.
  20. Emily_BabbelHund

Brogan had two, a US chip and an EU chip, one (in theory) in each shoulder. The EU chip traveled from his right shoulder down to the top of his right hip. The vet joked that another couple years and it would be in his foot. :eek: