Dog Park Disaster (?)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Suthuncat, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

so... i took orion to the local dog park (not too crowded) 3 weeks ago. he rather liked it - it took him about a half hour to settle in and stop sniffing every leaf, stick, blade of grass, and tree ::) but he played a bit with the other dogs and slept all the way home after that. so i thought it a nice little success, and returned yesterday.

well. we arrived, and there were 3 other dogs there..... this dog park is separated by weight (as i suspect most are)... over 30 pounds, under 30 pounds. i noticed straightaway that 2 of the 3 dogs in the over 30 pound section were UNDER 30 pounds (and i do mean LITTLE dogs - the yappy sort)... one was a kind of daschund mix and the other was one of those small foofy dogs that thinks he's goliath. the third dog was a much older pit, very sweet to me, but not too tolerant of my young upstart. :-\

so i thought, we'll give it a go... let orion in. straightaway, all three dogs ran to him and they did the sniff sniff sniff hello routine... i stood off a bit and observed, and everything seemed to be all right.

orion kept trying to make friends with the older pit, and the older pit would bark and air-snap at him every time he did, and frightened him. i called him over away from the pit and found some toys for him to play with, and he sniffed around a bit as well.

then a FOURTH dog showed up... some sort of boxer/great dane mix (picture a boxer body and head on great dane legs - this dog was ENORMOUS, taller than my tall boy and a month younger!)... so now we have 3 male dogs, 2 of them puppies and neither is neutered, and... it quickly descended into chaos - the new dog was very pushy with orion and orion started to bark and that just set the three of them into a circling, barking frenzy, with the pit doing his air snaps and the new great dane/boxer jumping on TOP of orion every so often, which scared him....

at this point, i decided enough was enough (this all happened very quickly, in perhaps 5 minutes) and i sort of herded orion off away from the others then got his harness on and left.

did i do the wrong thing??? none of them was growling or snapping (except mr. pit and his air-snaps nowhere near other dogs), but i was beginning to get quite alarmed because orion was CLEARLY upset and scared and i didn't want him to form a bad association or possibly get hurt by that galumping boxer/dane jumping all over him.... i KNOW the boxer/dane is a puppy, but still, he was MUCH bigger than orion and jumping ON TOP OF HIM.

*sigh*

i did make the departure very positive - i petted orion, got his harness on, calm and kind words, and walked him out quite normally - no panic or rushing or pulling - and then he had his water and his treat and hopped into my car... so it wasn't as if we left all in a shambles.

:(

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Dog Park Disaster (?)

Actually it sounds like you were very wise and kept calm and positive. I think you did the right thing in going before it got worse. I would call it a successful outcome rather than a disaster.
    I suppose you should go back to bury the ghost and plan on taking treats and toys for a quick visit. Don't expect there to be a problem and your confident attitude will help.
    Not that I am an expert! I thought every dog was a potential problem when I started out with my pup and I just had to get over that for her sake ( I did but I am still wary).

3. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I think you did the right thing, and calmly too so he will remember the calm and treat more than the chaotic park I would imagine.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Definitely you did the right thing. Well done!

5. Suthuncat

thank you all... i do feel a bit better about it. i think i was just worried that i had somehow made him think something bad/negative, and/or had done the wrong thing by "getting into" a bit of a dog melee (although i was very careful not to get into the MIDDLE of it... i waited till orion was near me and sort of cut him off from the herd, so to speak, before petting and speaking to him).

i really think those small dogs unsettled him, as well as mr. pit, and then when the boxer/dane showed up, that was just too much.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wise I think - so many unknown quantities, best to leave them to it!

:)

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I think you did the right thing, especially as he was near to you :)

8. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Sounds like you done the right thing, can I borrow you when bouncer finaly gets to meet lucy (my dads dog)?

9. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

You certainly did the right thing.

It is the sort of situation that can very rapidly get out of hand.

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Everyone has said it already, but you did the right thing :)

11. Suthuncat

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=7834.msg109860#msg109860 date=1410802071]
    Sounds like you done the right thing, can I borrow you when bouncer finaly gets to meet lucy (my dads dog)?
    [/quote]

Absolutely! ;). Bit of a commute, but I'd love a return trip across the Pond!!!

12. Suthuncat

Thanks, everyone....I'll plan a quick return visit just as a pop in and meander a bit to help make it positive again...just need to sort out when the galumphing boxer/Dane will NOT be there!!