Dog sitter for the people in the know

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sven, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

Did not want to hijack other threads on here.

In the not to distance future I know we are going to have to work out a Dog sitter. This would be for someone to come in and allow toileting and a bit of a play/company. We are not bothered about the walking part as we already do 2 walks a day. Plus in the summer here it gets to hot so a walk is out of the questions, early mornings and late evenings all OK.

My question is how do you pick someone you feel you could trust? I know references, talking to them answers they provided etc. But we all know as a human race we can bend the truth or lie. there are ways of seeing through it, but not always.

We will be asking neighbour again, but we also need a back up.

At the moment we are lucky with the support we have, but that is going to change in the next 6months+

Thanks

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I would be looking into the knowledge of canine behaviour and courses studied (and whether they are indeoendantly accredited courses). Are they insured? Do they hold a clearance that they have no criminal record etc. Do they have references that can be checked. How do they relate to and handle your dog. Finally, what is your 'gut reaction' to the person :)

Sven and edzbird like this.
  3. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

@Sven, I have interviewed three dog walkers / doggy day care people, and these are the things I've done / asked (and got better at asking for each time!)
    • Insurance (and that any other people they take on are covered by the insurance)
    • DBS check
    • Two different references, emailed to me from the referees
    • The intro session should take at least an hour to let you expain everything they need to know about Vanilla and more (and stuff they didn't need to know but you want to tell them anyway!)
    • What happens if they are ill, is there any cover?
    • Cancellation policy (from both sides)
    • Key holding policy
    • First walk or two (or in your case, play time) you join them to see how they get on with your dog
    • How many dogs do they usually walk and where do they go (gives you an idea of their ethos) and in your case, what games would they initiate with her?
    • Do they have their own pets
    The other thing I have is a wifi camera set up - and I've always been up front about saying that it's there for our peace of mind. I check in through the day to see that Monty has been taken out and dropped off safely.
    I also always leave a note and expect them to write a few lines about the walk. I would also expect updates on facebook / instagram to see him out and about.

The other thing that puts my mind at rest is that Monty is soooooo happy to see our current dog walker - he's a complete wriggle bum and cannot contain his excitement when she arrives. He cannot wait to get out the door with her which is a good sign for me.

And the rest is just your gut feeling....

Sven, SwampDonkey, drjs@5 and 3 others like this.
  4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I found it difficult to find someone, and originally went with a company with good reviews online. Did the whole interview, key policy, insurance questioning etc. Checked on them on social media etc. Once they started, I caught them coming very late twice when I came home from work early (Quinn was only 6 months old so she was being left much longer than we agreed to) and were not responding to me or giving us updates. We didn't get a good feeling after that and didn't trust that Quinn was in good hands. We found interim help while I looked for other options.

I started talking to other owners on local walks about who they use for walking and met someone with a lab who gave me her dog walker's contact info. She had been using this person for years and she formerly worked at a dog daycare. She is independent (not a company) who walks just a few dogs in our area, one dog at a time on leash and lives nearby. She is flexible (we go weeks without needing her, and sometimes I have to call her same day in a panic). We had her come over to talk/ask questions and meet Quinn and we got a good vibe. We've asked neighbours if they see her with Quinn and otherwise, just had to put our trust in her. We also see her out with other dogs (once she stopped her car to come see Quinn while we were walking which tells me she does love our dog like we do). She is responsive to me, gives daily updates and Quinn does the zoomies when she comes over. We've been using her about a year now with zero issues. I like that we are not tied to a schedule (like we would be with a dog walking company) and Quinn is not taken to dog parks. I am not fussed about "a dog that comes home tired" - it's more about the potty break and some interaction on days that we both work. She still gets her morning and evening walks with us.

Good luck!

Sven and SwampDonkey like this.
  5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I just went with my gut instinct and got lucky.

I didn't know much about dog sitters and what I was looking for when we got our puppy. I knew I had to arrange a sitter as we both work full time, it was seeing ad for dog day care that gave me the idea that a puppy in our lives would be possible.

I started to make enquiries before I even found my puppy. The ad I saw had a center out of town and when I rang they said they would not be suitable for a young puppy. I did a bit of random internet search and phoned up one lady who said she worked on her own so would not be able to take on a puppy along with the other dogs she cared for, we had a good chat and she was very helpful. She recommended H's dog sitter, a retired couple who look after dogs in their own home.

Once H was home with us L came round to meet me and him. We had a long chat, with little 10 week old H curled up under her chair. It just all felt right. And has been right ever since.

Sven likes this.
  6. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I'm maybe a bit naive but Stanleys been to two doggy day cares and I never quizzed them that much.

I spent some time with them when Stanley was there and spent some time with their dog, checked to make sure they were positive style trainers and had a trial with them.

After that I tend to take my lead from Stanley. He likes them and definitely likes going and he always comes back happy and safe so maybe I've just got lucky. :)

Sven likes this.
  7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I interviewed 7 dog walkers / day care people. Every time I asked about insurance, how many dogs at a time, where they go, what if there was an accident or emergency, sickness cover etc. The first 3 were very clear that they don't let dogs off the lead, 2 walked around the residential streets, the other in parks. The next 2 Harley wouldn't go near and when I asked their advice on jumping up they suggested a knee to her chest.....number 6 was nice, but I just didn't feel that they would look after Harley like I wanted.
    The one I chose loved Harley from the start, turned her back when Harley jumped up at her, asked her to sit before fussing her, said the first few walks that she would be on a long line until she was confident that her recall was really good, husband would cover if she was ill (he's now taken over the walking whilst she does day care after an injury). Everything about her felt right and I've never regretted employing her and now, her husband. Harley adores both of them and will happily go out with them even if I am home (usually when I'm in pain). They are reliable and Harley is staying with them in September for a week and I know 100% that she will be well cared for and loved.
    Sorry for the essay!

8. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks all, mindfield springs to mind. Will start the search and see what we get. Sure there will be someone eventually. The most important cue that I will look for though is the interaction and how Vanilla is. Even though she is friendly, she does leave people if they don't appear to be.

Naya likes this.
  9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Sven likes this.
  10. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I think there's different things to consider when you are handing your house key over to someone - for example, I had to introduce my cat as well as my dog, and explain when she could go outside or not. My OH absolutely hates the fact that someone comes into our house when we are out, so you have to think about what you might leave lying around that you wouldn't want this person to see.

Sven likes this.
  11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I spend a lot of evenings staying up late to clean so the dog walker doesn't see a mess! :eek: