Dog Socializing

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Johnny, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

Hey

My guy is now 18 months old and obviously loves to play with other dogs. However, I have been noticing for some time now that other big dogs tend to become aggressive with him almost instantly. Meanwhile, all he wants to do is play. The only big dogs that don't react that way are other labs or Goldens. Is this something with his character that makes other big dogs react this way?
    He is not jumping on them or overly excited when this happens.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

My dog Brogan was an angel who loved everyone and every dog. EXCEPT he was irritated out of his mind by young, large breed puppies (adolescence to about two years old). He wouldn't hurt them, but would tell them off in a heartbeat if I wasn't vigilant. I think it was the big, stupid and bouncy factor - he just felt they were rude and unruly and needed to be put in their places. It wasn't even necessary that the puppy was jumping on him - it's just all that extra "teenagerness" that other dogs immediately pick up on. Probably has something to do with hormones as well.

Others may have better advice for you, but it seems to me that the solution is time (your pup will mature) and being aware of what sorts of dogs are triggered by your dog and simply steering clear. With Brogan, I would steer him clear of dogs I knew he would smackdown if given the chance, but unfortunately some dog people are more laissez-faire, especially in an off-leash situation, so you'll have to do the steering away yourself.

If it helps at all, usually these older dog/younger dog corrections are just that - corrections. A lot of bluster (and at times some seriously disconcerting noises) but no actual physical harm.

3. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

Is your dog neutered? I have found that my submissive guy (not neutered) gets a lot of dogs acting aggressive towards him when the owners say their dog is nice. I was in the park chatting with another Labrador owner and she said it happened to her 14 month old all the time until she neutered him and then other dogs seemed to react friendlier to him.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I have noticed this too with my entire 3 year old. Interestingly, when he was temporarily chemically castrated it stopped. Now that has worn off, I see more dogs ( male, neutered ) taking umbrage to him. Not many, just the odd one or two. Usually unfamiliar dogs, and more dog dense areas.