Dog stealing clothes

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ShelbyM, Feb 19, 2016.

1. ShelbyM

ShelbyM Registered Users

I have a 6 month old who loves to steal socks, underwear, you name it. Clean or dirty she will take them out of hampers and run. I keep them out of reach but when I'm putting away clothes she's right in there. She has every toy a dog could want and I even buy toys that are cloth material so she gets her urge out but that doesn't seem to help either. I know this can be a puppy phase but can I do anything to help her realize that she is not supposed to do this?

2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I have exactly the same issue with my 10 month old girl Ella. We just either close the door to the room that we're sorting clothes in or put her behind the baby gate in the laundry. We've found it easier to restrict access rather than to try and train her not to steal clothes.

Others will be along soon that may be able to suggest ways to train her not to steal them. I've just found that I have so many other things that we're working on so I didn't want to add another one to the list! :)

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

attack of the sock monsters

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Somehow we managed to turn this into a game. He'll pick up something, come to show us what he's got then run all the way around the house, upstairs, downstairs with us after him then finally stop at his treat box in the kitchen. Annoying when there is something else you ought to be doing. Completely our fault for turning it into a game.

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

You can stop the game by not chasing, which could be dangerous depending upon what is in the mouth. He will soon learn a new swap game where he gets a treat for giving the item.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Twiglet loves carrying things round so she has a blanket in every room which she can parade around with it. I sleep with each blanket (after washing) and this seems to satisfy her, she never pinches clothes. :)

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This game is the best reward ever and reinforces the behaviour. I would get some super high value treats and teach 'drop it'. We do this with all of ours. It came in valuable when Tatze found a poisoned rat and proudly brought it to us to 'swap'.

(Stinky dried tripe does the trick :) )

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie is 5 years old and still steals socks etc. I just ask him to "drop" he does and gets a good treat for it. I never chase him with an item I don't want him to have as he would enjoy that. "Drop" worked a treat when he was about a year old he picked up a live Pheasant, I told him to "drop" he did and the pheasant lived to tell the tale!! :)

It is a useful cue to have as you never know what dangerous things these dogs of ours can pick up that could cause them harm.

MaccieD likes this.