Dog toys vs kid toys

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by argo1, Jan 11, 2016.

1. argo1

argo1 Registered Users

Any advice to help "teach" pup to discriminate between his toys and kids' toys? So far we've been trading with a treat and having him drop it. I know pretty much anything on the ground is free game but he is stealing my daughters toys from her baskets. Should I have a special place in main living room where he can grab his toys vs hers? I usually spread his all over the room. I've tried bitter spray and it seems to deter a bit.He is 13 weeks old.

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

You can train that, sure you can, but it is not going to happen overnight. Anything that smells like your hands generally is appealing to a puppy. Kids' toys probably also smell like food. You will have to supervise so closely that me, I'd just put the child's toys some place only she can get them.

A trick to try is to put his toys away as well and ration them. Puppies get bored easily. We had only 9 toys. They were put away each night and each morning he got a "new" one. Usually he got three "new" toys a day. The next day, three different "new" toys. But he will still want her toys too, I bet.