Dog urine ruining grass

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by AmericanLab247, May 20, 2019.

1. AmericanLab247

AmericanLab247 Registered Users

Hi. Any helpful ideas to either get your dog to pee in one spot in the yard, or supplements or food that can help neutralize dog urine so our grass can stop dying? I’ve tried Grass Saver but not sure if it’s working. I’ve read get a gravel area or AstroTurf but before I go that route, is like to see if there is another solution.

Also, my 12 month old lab male squats like a girl. This doesn’t bother me but he refuses to go potty anywhere but our backyard. Thinking if he could start marking on walks, then less urine on our lawn creating damage. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

There are a lot of products out there that claim to stop this issue. Unfortunately, I know a couple who have tried numerous of them with no success whatsoever.

From what I've seen, the only solution is to have a specific area of the garden where you accept that they do their business, and try to encourage them to pee in that place. Or as you say to replace an area with gravel or fake grass.

You might find he starts lifting his leg as he matures, but I've known male dogs that never really did!

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Yep, my experience is the same as Lucy's. I've tried the treatments for the grass and the rocks for the water (the rocks are added to the dog's drinking water and are supposed to change the acidity of their wee - or something like that). Neither worked.

Ella only really goes outside to toilet and only stays outside of we're out there too. So, the only thing I found to work was to leave a cheap slip lead by the back door. When she wants to go out, pop the lead on, take her up the side of the house, reward for toileting on the tanbark and take the lead off afterwards.