Dog Walking on Crutches??

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Ski-Patroller, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

OK then. I broke my other hip last Tuesday (week ago) in yet another bike wreck. Surgery was Wednesday and released on Friday. We flew back to Portland on Saturday, and I am getting around fine but am on crutches for the next 3 weeks. I'm trying figure out if there is a reasonable way to walk our dogs on lead. I'm pretty solid, but I don't think I want to do a belt hook or try to hold the lead with my crutch hand. Both tend to pull quite a bit when we first start out, and then settle down. Does anyone else have a suggestion for dealing with leashes and crutches? I may just have to let my wife deal with getting them to the car so we can get to an off lead area.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I opened this thread thinking 'how on earth is a dog going to walk on crutches...'. :rolleyes:

Might be best to hand over dog walking to your wife or even pay a dog walker for a bit.

I hope you're fully recovered soon!!

Snowshoe and bbrown like this.
  3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Poor you! Hope the recovery goes well..

I might be tempted to skip the walking for a bit...although you could try a bungee waist lead like the ones from Ruff Wear. I used this with I was rehabbing with Benson. I guess it depends on whether you know your dogs will pull or not.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh no, how painful!
    I would hand over dog walking to your OH as if it were me, I would be worried how vulnerable I was to being injured further. Try and relax and get better before taking on too much.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Oh my. I hope your bike wreck was not dog caused. I know a lady who had no choice but to hit a dog and she got a badly broken leg out of it. Wrecked her competitive cross country ski season for one winter. The dog was ok. Hope you are ok soon, six week? Or more for a hip?

I agree, don't chance it. Let your BH walk them.

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Bike wreck was just me. I could not get out of the clips and fell over when I had to stop on a graveled grade. I would not have expected an injury, but the ground was rock hard, and I don't have much padding over the trochanter area. This one appears to be healing much faster than mine 3 years ago when I was hit by a truck and launched through the air. I have 2-1/2 weeks more on crutches and then start formal rehab. It never has been very painful, but my last one wasn't either. I expect to have a full ski season this year.

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh heavens , you poor thing ! Pass the dog walking duties over for now , I can only see another catastrophe pending if you even attempt to walk a Labrador whilst on crutches , doesn't bear thinking about !

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aw no!
    Rest up and pass on the dog walking would certainly get my vote too.
    Do what the doc/physio orders and take your time.
    Hope you make a swift recovery.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes I agree. Not worth the risk of further injury. Hope you heal quickly!

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Poor you. I hope you mend easily.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's awful :( Have to agree with the others, give the dog walking to someone else until you FULLY recover. Get better soon. xx