Doggie dreams

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Penny+Me, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Do you think dogs dream when they sleep? They must do, surely?

I was sat in front of the tv last night with Penny fast asleep on the sofa next to me. She started twitching - legs and lip and her eyes were moving rapidly like they do in people in REM sleep and she started whining. I think she was dreaming but it seemed like a bad dream and I felt really sorry for her!!

2. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Re: Doggie dreams

Oh Im sure they do, I love watching Otis when hes dreaming, he does these little licky sounds and puts his tongue in and out, its sweet, Im sure he is having a nice dream about food, he also does little growly barks in his sleep. Maggiex

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly runs when she's dreaming. She also barks in her sleep. Not a full bark, but a muffled yelp with her mouth closed.

4. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

jasper runs in his sleep :)

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sams eyes flicker , sometimes the eyeball seem to disappear just showing the whites , his mouth twitches too ::)

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley runs in her sleep and often makes funny noises like she is barking, but she doesn't do a full on bark. Her eyes also move! So cute to watch. I think she is dreaming about running in the fields or woods :)

7. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

DD4DD runs in her sleep sometimes. Sadly she sometimes lets loose with an oh-so mournful whine too. I wake her up and fuss her when she does this as I figure it isn't a happy dream.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

9. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny never runs in her sleep but she does do weird little barks, sometimes she wakes herself up with them!

She does seem to have quite a few bad dreams though - I feel so bad for her :(

I'm in bed right now with her lying next to me and her eyes are semi open - all I can see is part of her third eyelid and the whites of her eyes...it's really freaky! Lol

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Gruffly wuffs and twitches and running on our sofa too x

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We had a full on sleep barking once - much more than he has ever done while awake.

I must be due for another bark soon. Haven't had one this month yet.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=4025.msg47616#msg47616 date=1389855402]
    We had a full on sleep barking once - much more than he has ever done while awake.

I must be due for another bark soon. Haven't had one this month yet.
    [/quote]

Quiet is good and you don't have to train for it :) x

13. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

I definitely think dogs dream. Dexter used to run but now gets twitchy paws. He makes that ticky sort of noise like his tongue js stuck to the roof of his mouth.

I got told be a friend that if they're running in their sleep, gently nudge or stroke them just in case they wake up and run into something.

Has anybody seen the YouTube video of the labrador/retriever that is running in its sleep, wakes up and runs straight into the wall? :(

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

One of the very few times I ever got badly bitten by a dog was when I woke it up because it was having a bad dream. It was a cocker spaniel belonging to a friend, and I gently stroked her to wake her up as she was twitching and barking in her sleep. She whipped around and bit me so badly it broke the skin and was very painful! :( I am very, very cautious about waking a dreaming dog now; I only do it if it looks like a really bad dream (with howling), and I just gently call their name to bring them out of it, no stroking or touching until they are back in the land of reality! :)

15. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

After reading that post Karen I prefer that method too! Ha ha

16. osca

osca Registered Users

I think dogs definetely dream Oscar is always barking or sometimes even cries in his sleep (bless him). Its not just that you can see him moving his legs as well running i pressume - he's adorable when he's sleeping :) - whens he's awake he loves casuing mischief ::)