Dogs weight

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by mom2labs, Sep 10, 2018.

1. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

I know that you shouldn't compare other puppies weight and height with other dogs but our puppy seems smaller than the average. He is 25 weeks old and weighs almost 40 pounds. He was in the vet a couple weeks ago and she said he looked healthy and didn't seem concerned but hearing others his age are 50 pound. He hasn't grown much at all over the past 4 weeks or so. His parents were average size labs. Is this normal for them to slow growth this much?

2. Aisling Labs

Aisling Labs Registered Users

Some of them do seem to suddenly stop growing much. Our Dreama seemed to stick at 16 lbs for weeks and then suddenly began to grow at the average weight of about 2.5 lbs per week. Then she hit another stall where I thought she'd never make it to 60 lbs. She finally made it to 65 lbs at about 9 months old and there she sits at 3 years of age.

Your Breeder might be able to reassure you that this "stall" in growth is normal for her line. And if the Vet doesn't feel there is any issue, then I would't worry too much.

3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

If you are worried have a word with your vet. They know best about dogs weight.

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

If your vet isn't worried I would tend not to worry. All digs grow at different rates - there is no 'average weekly gain', your dig gains what it gains. My girl only ever gained a pound a week throughout her growing phase but is perfectly normal, in fact she leans towards the top end of height range.
    It is quite normal for growth to slow around the six month range and most growth has been obtained by 9 months of age. You mention that the parents where only average size so I would expect their pups to be of average size. There are distinct health advantages for our Labs to remain slim, heavier dogs can be putting more strain on joints, so as long as he is fit, healthy with plenty of energy I wouldn't worry.

5. mom2labs

We were just at the vet and talked with her about it and as I said she wasn't concerned, said he looked healthy.
    We didn't purchase him from a breeder, but we did meet the parents and they were average size. Oakley just seems so small I guess

6. Browneyedhandsomebuddy

Browneyedhandsomebuddy Registered Users

Think there’s a sticky about weight on here..... I can’t believe the variations in weight between dogs! If you’re vet is happy enough then I’m sure everything is fine.

7. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I really wouldn't worry about weight, look at the build of the dog and go by eye and by feel to determine if your dog is overweight/underweight.

For what it's worth, I have an adult 4yo labrador and she is 46lbs (21kg) and at an ideal weight for her.

See: (I don't like that the dog they use here is clearly terrified, but the info is good!).

8. mom2labs

Good to know thanks, I think he looks good and the vet said he did so I wont worry about it then.