dominant, when can you tell? What are the signs?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dukester, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dukester

Dukester Registered Users

Hi and me again!

First off, would like everyone to know, Duke slept through the night last night!! ( I was exhausted, and slept through my alarm to take him out) didn't hear any barks or whines.

Now, I keep feeling like my boyfriend and I picked on of the dominant puppies in the group. How can you tell or can you tell when there this young? I keep reading different articles, but get mixed signals.

Duke, doesnt come when called. Especially in the house, its rare he come over when you say his name. When he does come and you pet him, he bites. Ive been saying no, and trying not to pull my hand away fast. He listens sometimes aha. However, when i say no, i do get lip back from him, barking and what not. He also barks when im getting his food. Im not sure if this is demanding or just excitement.

We went to my parents place a few times, and he walked around with the hair on his back up and tail up, I didn't know if that was a good thing at all.

We dont have a fenced in yard, but we take him out and he used to follow us around, not venture far, do his business, and come in. However, yesterday the little munchkin took off, and of course, I went after him because of the back lane and roadways. but he ran away from me. I was not impressed. So now he goes out on a long line. I feel like i've screwed up my recall already :9

My main concern right now though, is that no one can seem to pet him ( unless hes sleeping or very tired) with out getting chomped on, and when they tell him no, he barks at them.

Any tools to nip this in the bud or work with him? I don't want an overbearing dominant dog. My greyhound is the most laid back thing, so submissive, so I'm not sure how to handle this little dare devil!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: dominant, when can you tell? What are the signs?

Please don't worry. This is completely normal puppy behaviour. All puppies bite, a lot. There are several articles on the website to help you deal with this phase. You can find links to them all at the bottom of this page

Again, don't worry. :D Your puppy's behaviour has nothing to do with dominance. Check out this article for more information. And this one

This can be a challenging time, hang on in there :)

3. Dukester

Dukester Registered Users

Re: dominant, when can you tell? What are the signs?

Thanks so much Pippa, I will re-read those articles, that makes me feel much better! Thank you!!