Double take

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

As I was driving home from my parents at lunch time I noticed a dog walking beautifully on lead with a man. Imagine my surprise as I got closer and realised it was my Dexter with my husband. I know he does walk nicely a lot of the time but was great to observe him from a different perspective

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Now that must have been lovely for you, good boy Dexter and OH x :D

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Well done on the training :)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good job!

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It feels good when you realise things are working out right :)
    Good work!

6. Newbie Lab Owner

It was lovely to see them both together, both happy and out for a walk on a lovely winters day.

7. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

Proud moment.. well done Dexter :)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What a lovely surprise Angela , training pays off in the end , well done :)

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done Dexter!!

:) :)

10. Newbie Lab Owner

We are making steady progress, it's now a case of keep proofing and proofing and more proofing :)

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That's fantastic and sounds like it made your day

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fantastic!! :)

13. Newbie Lab Owner

It did @Naya as my husband has very little time with Dexter but hopefully we will get Saturday's with the three of us after this week.

14. Newbie Lab Owner

Thank you everyone, it's not always easy but constancy does pay off. We have a long way to go with all this training stuff, well the rest of our lives really. Always something new cropping up to challenge my brain (not difficult) ;).
    Thank you for always being here for advice, off loading when things get the better of me and for sharing in our highs and lows :)

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Well done - you must have them both well trained!

16. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

LOL, but really, you must tell us, which of them were you most surprised at?

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Great stuff! I have had the opposite, not quite recognising my OH, or the 2 dogs lunging in different directions to have a sniff...sob...

18. Newbie Lab Owner

@Beanwood, sorry but that made me chuckle .

@Snowshoe, lol, my husband I think , mind you he does listen to me most of the time as I try my best to explain the positive reinforcement training. At least when Dexter does pull my husband now stops and isn't getting frustrated but that is true of me too.

I had a disasterous week a few weeks back and hit melt down, Dexter hit 7 months, I was dealing with social worker for my dad (he has dementia), organising the plumber and flooring people to do my parents bathroom, taking my mother in law to hospital, my dad to respite, work and meeting Dexter's needs and training. My husband leaves for work before 6am and gets home around 5 or 6.30pm. I was knackered, Dexter was like he didn't know anything had started waking all hrs, howling and barking when I was home and left the room. I really thought his days with me were numbered. Then Dexter got poorly, I felt so guilty about how I'd been feeling but you can't always be rational when you're the one doing all the giving. Anyway, my attitude changed abruptly and I knew that this puppy is here with us for the duratation, no going back. Life calmed down, Dexter got better and I think the week I spent caring for him, sleeping on the sofa etc bought us even closer together. We've learned some new games and to see his little face, you can almost see his brain ticking over as he is working out the rules. I went back to basics and gradually started building up at a slower pace and it was like a lightbulb moment for Dexter and me. I read a series of books that were not about dog training at night as I realised I was eating, sleeping and dreaming training. We all need a break now and again, lol.
    Oops that was an off load and a half

MaccieD likes this.
  19. Luffy

Luffy Registered Users

Here, here! I was in a similar state a few weeks ago - Luffy, fell to being very poorly. During this period I was at my wits end. But in the end it all worked out. I can't see my life without my little Luffy :) Now we have to work on his lead training. Him being 8 months, it's going to be hard work.

Glad everything is fine and dandy with you and Dexter. :)

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  20. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

I feel a little jealous when my OH gets the benefit of all my hard work with Saba :D, yet at the same time, secretly pleased to know that at least one of them knows how to behave when they're out!

snowbunny and Newbie Lab Owner like this.