Drying a wet puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Atemas, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

DH took both dogs out this morning for a walk in the pouring rain - they were absolutely dripping wet when they came back. This is the first time Red has been so wet. Nightmare trying to dry her - she was all over the place and biting the towel I was using on her. A robe would be useless as she would probably bite that. Sky just lets me towel dry her and stands whilst I put her towelling robe on her so easy peasy. 7 month old puppy though a different story. Any tips?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would normally say hotdog, but this is Red, so maybe a fish skin chew if she can tolerate them, held to her nose so she can just nibble it while you get the job done with the other hand. Or just embrace the game, which is what I did with Luna most of the time :D

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Maybe try one of those towelling robes that they wear ? Sorry, just read your post again and see that it wouldn't work x

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Although, the robes are pretty great, and very cute.

[​IMG]
    Mine all grew out of the biting thing when they realised that being dried is really nice :)

You can also train drying her when she doesn't need it, to practice for when she does.

QuinnM15 likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I put the towel over the puppy and towel with one hand, treats in the other. It doesn't stop her wriggling but it does stop her biting the towel.

:)

6. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn grew out of that game (or the game of run and roll around on furniture/her bed before I could stop her). I just went along with it and kept her leash on so I could get her partially dry at least. I also put her between my legs to hold her head away from the towel as much as possible. Now she loves when the towel comes out and stands still for a butt rub down!

I commend those that can hold treats and dry off a wiggly puppy at the same time! :D

7. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

We just embrace the game - usually using two towels one for Bailey to have in his mouth and one to rub him with - he loves it. Don't think I could manage to hold a treat and rub him down at the same time! Well done those that can.

8. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sky has one of these :).

Thank you everyone - will try the treats and if that fails will embrace the game :D. I gave up this morning - she looked like a drowned rat but it was interesting seeing her colour when she is wet - very fox red :).

Samantha Jones likes this.