Dunster ?

Discussion in 'Dog Friendly Places & Recommendations' started by kateincornwall, Sep 19, 2014.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I have found a nice looking cottage in Dunster , dogs allowed and quite fancy an autumn break once we have got my daughter settled in after her upcoming move near to us . It is very many years ( about 30 !) since I went to this region, can remember Dunster Castle and how pretty the little town was but not much else . Does anyone know if the region is dog friendly re pubs , restaurants , dog walks etc . please ?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Dunster ?

Obviously I am no help at all Kate but absolutely loving that you are making plans for a much needed relaxing break xxx

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes it is dog friendly. You have to pay to park at Dunster beach but the dogs can go year round. You can take dogs into the grounds of the castle I think (National Trust) and we certainly took Riley into one of the hotels in town. Of course you can take the dogs on the moor but there's quite a lot of sheep and ponies :D

It's Heidrun's stamping ground, I'm sure she'll be along with some top places to go.

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I live a hop, skip and a jump from Dunster! It is a beautiful village and the castle and grounds are delightful. Like Barbara said, the beach is open to dogs all year round and well worth a visit. All the pubs and restaurants in and around Dunster are dog friendly. This is prime shooting country so everyone is used to gundogs coming inside pups and hotels. Let me know if and when you are coming. :D

6. kateincornwall

Thank you , the cottage is called Thyme Cottage and looks lovely , will most likely be November time , thanks for the information , and yes Heidrun , I will let you know if we book , which I`m sure we will , so need a break :)

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A lovely winter break sounds beautiful Kate and just what you all need xx :)

8. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Make sure the cottage has got parking, Kate. The cottages in Dunster are all ancient, and the streets are very narrow, which means there is very little parking apart from a couple of public car parks.

9. kateincornwall

Oh that's a point , I looked at the photos again, it appears to have double yellow lines outside, this would be no good for my husband, if he had to walk far, thank you for the warning, will check :)

10. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

My sister is coming up from Carbis Bay and I have been researching pubs friendly to dogs here. Anyway I found a nice little free website - think it's called : "doggy pubs". You put in the postcode and up comes a list with reviews. You can also purchase apps for your phone that are similar.

11. kateincornwall

Thanks Jane :)

12. sussex

sussex Registered Users

i am just back from luckyard farm weddon cross we used dunster beach every day you do pay to park even with a blue badge there are pubs in dunster dog friendlythink the luttrell arms is good you will be spoilt for choice we went down the side of north hill in minehead there is a pub just on the right imeddiatly after the harbour welomes dogs

13. kateincornwall

Thank you , we may now look out of Dunster itself , due to the parking problems , will look at the farm thank you x

14. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I feel inspired to look up Dunster now! I am in Cornwall for Christmas this year!

15. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

A November break, lovely! Cold crisp mornings, quiet beaches and walks...perfect! :) :)

16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Cannot vouch for the dog friendliness of Dunster, but it is a lovely quaint village. The castle was lovely too.

If you are in the area over Christmas Jane try Chambercombe Manor, reputedly the most haunted house in England is good. Went there on a girly hol with my friends. One of them nearly died of fright. We were told to switch off mobiles, Jean merely put hers on vibrate, when hers vibrated in her pocket she nearly jumped out of her skin