Durable dog mattress

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sersi, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

So, it seems Digby is not the sort of dog to curl up but rather tends to sleep and relax at full stretch, already at 5 months he lays claim to 90% of our 4 man sofa of an evening!! I originally bought one of those plastic moulded beds with a soft mattress for inside. He never uses it, but he does like the mattress when I take it out of the bed. Its tatty and too small now so I need to chose another. Quite fancy a waterproof mattress I can also use outside. Are they comfy enough for inside too? I have found Zippy and tuffles beds online but they are pricey so would really need to last. Any experience of these beds or any others you have liked? He definitely needs something without sides. Ta.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Durable dog mattress

We got a waterproof(ish) bed and it's the noisiest bed in the world!!

Also Riley does sleep in it but he doesn't love it the way he loves his softer beds, I keep meaning to put some vet bed in it but haven't got round to it yet :)

3. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

I've given up on 'proper' dog beds. We have heavy duty dog bed covers, I get mine from waggers, these http://www.waggers.co.uk/.Traditional-Thermal-Fibre-Dog-Bed-Spare-Covers_437.htm we have the green check and tan check covers in large and and x-large. For filling I buy dirt cheap fibre duvets from the market which can be put through the washing machine a few times and then thrown away. Because Hebe is a bit of a digger I use two covers with the studs from the inner cover at the bottom of the outer cover. Waggers do a waterproof liner too which I use when I have a bitch in season or after an op when a dozy dog might not be totally leak-proof (we get our girls back quite quickly from the vets usually whilst they're still at the leg-plaiting stage). We have these in the house and also in the the dog house (outside utility room where the dogs sleep) but there they're off the floor on raised platforms.
    I did have a waterproof cover version but the girls hated it and preferred to lie on the floor or soggy grass so it went to the local dog rescue.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly loves her beanbag ;D. An old flattened one I have had for years. Gets its beige cover washed around monthly, but have some extra-large cheap asda black towels that we use on top of it. Potentially not very durable, I know, but its re-using something that was already in the house, and she shows no inclination at all to demolish it.
    Having said that, my hubby's dog (when he was a teenager) was very keen on beanbag snow ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Might not be everyones ideal choice for a bed - you find the beans around the house for months ::)

The tuffies bed looks great but since Lills has THREE choices of bed, I can't justify it ;)
    jac

5. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

Bean bag snow ;D ;D , makes me think of that scene in Muriel's Wedding.