DVD on building your relationship with a hunting dog

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by bbrown, Dec 3, 2014.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Firstly I haven't seen this DVD but I believe it's by the same lady that does the kikopup channel and videos and I think she's very good. It was mentioned on Facebook and I thought some of the people on here who aren't face bookers might like to look into it especially if they need something for their Christmas list ;D

So no review or recommendation just to let you know it's out there!

http://www.positiveanimalsolutions.com/Harness_the_Hunter_Emily_Larlham_p/harnessdvd.htm

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: DVD on building your relationship with a hunting dog

I have done a bit of impulse buying tonight and have ordered this DVD when I saw it on Facebook. ;) I'll post a review when I have watched it. :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I bought it too - not that I have a hunting dog. But the stuff around focus and impulse control looked generally useful. And Charlie finds pheasanty smells surprisingly interesting...although thankfulky, his bum still hits the floor nicely when he flushes a womble...so far, anyway...

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Me too! And if there is a sequel I'll be getting that too! ;D

5. debsie

debsie Registered Users

That's Brodick's christmas present sorted then...Im buying too :)

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Looks very interesting...look forward to the reivews :) :)
    Might be useful for Benson the minute he sees a dummy he turns into a kangeroo on speed....trying teach "look at me" ....forget it....his eyes are trained on the bowl, treat etc......sigh... ::) Casper is so different, just watches your every move like a hawk.... :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've watched the first half of this now - and I'd say...meh.

So far it's stuff in the first half of the first week of Helen Philip's beginners' course. Which I'm not knocking - at all. I was thrilled to learn it the first time round....but...it's not anything new so far.

I rather think more experienced people than me might be a bit disappointed....

Well, though - second half still to go.... :) :) :)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've given up on this now - the next few tutorials were the early stages of recall away from treats and so on (in less detail than Total recall), "leave it to get it", responding to light touches on the lead, let's go, and so on.

It's good stuff, but it's standard - even puppy - stuff. It's nothing specific about a relationship (apart from training with a lack of intimidation and the benefits of positive only training) or, so far, about hunting dogs....

I can see that all of this needs to be trained before you can tackle a dog who wants to hunt away from you, in that if you don't have this basic training in place you'd be on a hiding to nothing trying to recall/stop/control a dog with a high prey drive. But it wasn't what I expected from this DVD.

If anyone gets to the end of it, do let me know if it's worth watching the rest...

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I've just had the email mine is on the way....sounds like it might be good for me though as a beginner?

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8987.msg129372#msg129372 date=1418169885]
    I rather think more experienced people than me might be a bit disappointed....
    [/quote]

You may be under estimating your level of experience especially when it comes to clicker based work lol ;D

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

There is nothing wrong with the DVD at all - I can't say it's not useful. But it is certainly aimed at pet owners with dogs that want to chase rabbits when they don't want them to - certainly not at people who are trying to get their dog to hunt under their control.

So the DVD starts at things like attention noises as interrupters, and recall but at step zero ie conditioning a whistle with your dog's dinner. Nothing wrong with this stuff at all - it's perfect and very necessary foundation stuff.

Relationship building doesn't feature at all apart from it being mentioned as a benefit of not training with intimidation or any positive punishment. I was hoping for something a bit more...dunno...

Maybe I should watch it to the end, just in case...

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh but there was one thing to mention - one of the dogs had to be 100% on special hypoallergenic kibble, so the whole thing "no chase" thing for one of her dogs was done only using kibble as rewards. She did talk about building up the value of food rewards regardless of what they were - so that might be helpful for Angela and Dex.