Early morning wake up call

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by EmmaHughes, Sep 26, 2017.

?

Why does puppy wake up early?

1. Advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Reassurance and support

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi I have 10wk old lab puppy called Mason.
    Not sure why he woke me so early. Have read could be lonely or needs toilet? I ignored for a while then went down no fuss out for wee then back in crate and me back to bed for 45 minutes.
    How can I stop him waking up early? Any ideas gratefully received

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

He will eventually sleep in, so worry not, in my experience all my puppies after waking early fitted in with my waking pattern which was 8am without me doing anything about it, it just happened :)

3. EmmaHughes

Thank you Stacia, I wasn't sure what to do but it sort of worked ignoring for few minutes then no fuss when he went out

Stacia likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You are doing the right thing :)

If Keir (16 weeks) wakes up before 7am I take him out for the toilet, then back to bed no fuss.

At 7am the morning routine starts whether he woke up earlier or not :)

They'll soon start to sleep longer. Mollie (12 months old) and Tatze (4 years old) don't even raise their heads when I take Keir out for his morning toilet trip.

Jes72 likes this.
  5. EmmaHughes

Thank you Boogie I will continue to make no fuss and hope he sleeps in a bit longer.

6. EmmaHughes

Me again, sorry. I am finding it difficult to leave him especially when he wakes me at 6.10am. I need some support regarding shall I just let him whine for few minutes then go down?

7. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Does he need to go outside? I would assume he does. Take him out without giving any attention. Then back to bed until you are ready to get up. It’s all about routine and if he only gets minimal attention before you are ready to start your day, then he will learn.

8. EmmaHughes

I wouldn't say he isdesperate it's possibly is company thing but he does do a wee within 2-3 minutes. Right I will try this as I kept waking up from 3am just in case I heard him then I was too worried to go for wee myself too much info I know just in case he thought it was time to get up!

9. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I used to lie awake worrying that if I went to the loo, she would wake!! Our en suite is above the kitchen where she sleeps! I also used to lie awake because she never barked when she did need to go outside - I had to judge for myself. It was a very tiring time and I was massively sleep deprived. In the end the routine came and she slept all night without needing to wee/poo. You will also get there. Just treat his waking as the need to go to the toilet, take him out, no talk/interaction, put him back to bed and go back to bed yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2017
    EmmaHughes likes this.
  10. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Sorry Emma, not sure why my post has gone into your quote but see above.

11. EmmaHughes

That's ok I'm a pain I know

12. EmmaHughes

Thank you I'm going to have to do this as sadly I have been getting up after few minutes letting him out then feeding him but I have to be stronger

13. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Think your routine will just evolve. We get up at 6 so our dogs get fed then but that is our choice. When my puppy was little, she would have her food, go outside for a poo, then go back to sleep for an hour or two. I could get my shower then and any necessary jobs. If you don’t want your day to start so early, don’t fed him then.

14. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I think Dogs just go with whatever when they get a bit older.

We have no solid routine in our house, every day can be different. Stanley just sleeps until one of us appears. This can be anytime between half 6 and half 9.

He's a morning sleeper though and always snoozes the morning away. This morning I got him up at 8.30 he had a wee and his breakfast and is now snoozing on the couch.

I never thought we'd get to this stage - until about 17 weeks I couldn't get him to sleep past 5am. I used to just go down and sleep on the couch with him. Then one day he just slept through until 7 and it's gradually improved from then.

It will get better, they just grow up :)

15. EmmaHughes

Ok thank you it's just I haven't really known what to do. This is all so new to me.

16. EmmaHughes

Hi thank you sounds like things will get a bit easier thank you for making me feel a little easier.

17. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

Can everyone please stop sharing details about their morning toilet habits? :D (said jokingly, in case someone gets the wrong end of the lavatory chain).

Plum's mum and Naya like this.
  18. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

No you are not

:rofl:

19. EmmaHughes

Thank you but I seem to have lost confidence and already panicking about the early morning. Stupid really but my energy levels are not great but you have to carry on don't you

20. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

It’s exhausting being a puppy ‘mummy’ and affects energy levels badly. Mason is very young and it can all feel rather scary. Your confidence will grow as he gets older and less needy - honest :).

EmmaHughes and Snowy like this.