Early morning waking at the weekends - help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Abg, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Abg

Abg Registered Users

Hi there

I have an 8 month old cocker spaniel who is largely well behaved :)
    The one thing I can't seem to crack is early morning waking at the weekend. During the week he's fine, he goes to bed no problem and sleeps through to our alarm at 6am. (He does then squeak until we come downstairs).The weekends unfortunately aren't as good, he still wants to wake up at 6 without fail (a lie in til 8am would be heaven!). I've tried getting up at 5, letting him out then putting him back to bed - when his bladder couldn't hold) but after trying it once, he howled for about an hour and the next day he slept for 15 minutes longer and then we're back to our weekday routine so no progress. I know his bladder can now last about 10/11 hours and I know the reason he wants to get up is not toilet related (he slept in our room in his crate one night we stayed with friends, he made no sound for 11 hours!!) if we leave him he howls his head off and I know if we leave him long enough he might end up distressed and messing his crate. I've tried to let him howl for half an hour or so and I never get up without playing our alarm first ( to be consistent that we don't wake up until the alarm sounds). I'm not sure what else to try, because it's only 2 mornings before going back to our weekday routine it seems impossible to crack. Am I better off waiting until we have a few days holiday to practice? And if so what's the best way to tackle it?

Your help would be so appreciated, currently we take it in turns to get one lie in over the weekend. It's be nice to get two lie ins again!
    Thanks
    Amy

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Can you put his crate in your bedroom until he settles into a routine? Then gradually move it out again (by the door, then outside the door etc)?

3. Abg

Abg Registered Users

We could - I suppose that would feel like a big backward step as he's slept downstairs in his crate since his first couple of nights..

4. snowbunny

Going back a few steps in training (of any kind) every now and again is the easiest way to move forwards. Make things simple again, get the behaviour you want again, and then gradually increase the difficulty by using the three Ds - Distance, Duration, Distraction.

I wrote this post last year and, whilst it's about training something different, the philosophy holds true: http://thelabradorforum.com/threads/its-ok-to-go-right-back-to-square-one.11563/

5. Abg

Abg Registered Users

Thanks I had a read and totally agree - it it works then of course it's worth doing.
    I suppose more than it seeming a 'step back' I thought because the mornings are the issue id need to do something there, as he goes to bed and sleeps too the alarm goes off during the week I wasn't sure how that'd help us in the mornings at the weekend? Obviously I want to do what's most effective so whatever it is we'll give it a go.

6. snowbunny

You could also try setting off your alarm every time he comes out of the crate, even during the day. If the alarm doesn't go off, it's not time to come out yet.
    Just a thought!

7. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Do you give him breakfast? Homer will wake us up at 6 every morning asking for his breakfast rather to go outside. More precisely H wakes us up at 5:59 before the alarm goes off at 6 am.

Hubby gets up first on weekdays and feeds H and let's him out and they have a play before I come down stairs. On weekends, I get up first put his food on the floor for him, open the back door then go back up to bed for a lie in, with hardly waking. Homer comes up and joins us for a family snuggle.

My dad always let the dogs out to chase the monkeys every morning at sunrise. Then wake the whole family up by making tea, very kindly delivered to our rooms, whether you wanted to be woken or not. I suppose dogs and dads being early risers is normal for me.

PawPrints likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I just get up the same time at the weekends. Dogs don't really get weekends and lie ins. Mine got better at staying in bed when they got older.

soberbyker likes this.
  9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd just have him in your bedroom at the weekends. It's not the case that a dog can't sometimes sleep in a bedroom and sometimes sleep downstairs. My dog adjusts perfectly well to wherever he has to sleep.