Early Morning Waking

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Ainsley, May 1, 2017.

1. Ainsley

Ainsley Registered Users

Our puppy is approaching 7 months now and sleeps through the night just fine. In fact he has even on the odd occasion taken himself to his crate and went to bed in the evening on his own accord. However, come 5:30am he is awake and wants us up too. Just wondering if anyone has had success with early morning waking advice found here:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/night-waking-how-to-restore-the-peace/

I believe that part of the problem from us as well is that he is expecting to be fed around 6am as that's the time we usually give in once he has paused briefly from making a noise. Ideally we want to wake up around 06:30.
    Also silly question but how boring is boring? Should I give him a fuss in the morning or basically ignore him, as he is still young understandably he is very excited to see us in the mornings.

Any advice/comments would be of great help.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mollie has been an early waker - she's now seven months old and waking at 7:15, but this is only recently. We feed her at 7:30 and always have.

If she woke any earlier than 6:30 I went down, let her out for a wee and poo, then went to back to bed, no fuss not a word spoken from day 1. If it was after 6:30 I went down and played with her until breakfast time. She usually fell back to sleep within ten minutes!

Once it was consistently 6:30 - at about six months - we waited five minutes (adding it on) longer every couple of days before going down to her.

It worked :)