Early morning

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by mom2labs, Jun 10, 2018.

1. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

I have a dilemma and was hoping for some advise or thoughts. Our puppy is 13 weeks today and since week 9 has been sleeping through the night from about 10 pm-6am, wakes at 6 because he hears me even though I am very quiet. For some reason over the weekend though he has been awaking at 5 am, my hubby got up with him the first time and stayed up with him but I told him I didn't think that was a good idea so today when he did it again I took him out potty like I would in middle of night didn't say anything and put him right back in his crate, without hope I assumed he wouldn't like it and would cry because it was light out but he didn't and actually didn't start whining until 7.
    Here's more my dilemma, he already awakes and knows I get up at 6am, it is really really hard to get ready for work with a puppy so we have been just letting him bark/whine for 20 -30 min until done. However, our son will now be getting ready for work at least 2 days per week at about 5 am, I DO NOT want our puppy to start getting up at this time, it's already hard enough at 6, what would you advise? just leave him be let him bark/whine or would you take him out go potty and put him back in until 6:15? I just know he will hear our son the way the set up of our home is. Any ideas?

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Could you put his breakfast in a kong?

When my dog was a baby I used to get up and let him out etc then give him a frozen kong which gave me enough time to get ready etc.

Now he’s older he just waits and it was something he outgrew really :)

3. Granca

Granca Registered Users

If he's usually able to wait until 6am but then seems desperate to go out, just take him out then put him back in his crate, as you have been doing, and leave him. If he doesn't really need to go out immediately, try to get him used to staying settled in his crate by ignoring him while you potter around until you're ready to let him out, rather than going straight to his crate when you get up.

He's still very young, so it may take time, but eventually he'll expect just to wait until you open his crate. Good luck!

4. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

That's what I"m not sure about, he has always since 9 weeks has been able to wait until 6 or later until the last 2 days, when we took him out he went potty right away but I also don't want to make him wait until then if he does really need to go. I guess I think about me, sometimes I have to go in the middle of the night and not always the same time. Maybe I"ll just take him out like you said and put him right back in. thanks

5. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

We let our 11 week old out a 4/ 5am (she asks to go to the toilet) then put her back in until 6.30am.

As you say at toilet time there's no fuss, nice and quiet and she goes back fine.