Eating foreign objects

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Somatic, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Hi all,

I am sure this kind of topic gets posted all the time, but I would just like some reassurance.

Arnie is 11 weeks old, so not fully vaccinated yet. I take him for romps in the underground car park of our building just to burn off some energy. Been using the space to work on recalls and all kinds of behaviour, so its been good.

This morning I had him off leash (leash attached but not with me attached to the other end) and he as bouncing around as usual. I call him back, he comes, reward. Thats our little game. So we get behind some of the storage units and he picks something up off the ground, and before I could get to him, crunch, chew, "Arnie... come"!! and he just hightails it in the opposite direction at full sprint. About 3 seconds later when I did get to him, he had nothing in his mouth, but I know he ate something he shouldn't have.

When should I become worried?

A.

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi!

Naughty Arnie!! But typical Lab, as I'm sure you understand if you have spent some time on the boards here. The only thing you can do is to keep an eye on him and note anything that seems off. More than likely he will be fine, but be on the look out for lethargy, or not wanting to eat, or not passing any stools. Of course vomiting or diarrhea could be the result of an illegal forage! As always, call the vet if you are worried, they can give you more specific advice if something seems off with your pup. Many dogs eat all sorts of things and generally they have stomachs of iron, but as you don't know exactly what he ate (sometimes ignorance is bliss:rolleyes:) it's good to be extra vigilant. It can take some time for something the dog has eaten to make its way through the system and come out again at either end, so don't be alarmed if he vomits or poos out something in a day or two.

3. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Yeah the little bugger. He's been a pest today. We went n had a look at a doggy day care place I wanna use for when I go back to work, and they look great. So we spent a bit of time in the car driving around, and he's pretty good in the car. But by the end of the trip I could tell he was getting over it. When we got home he had a drink and a feed, and we played some, and then he slept and when e woke up he wanted to put everything in his mouth. Computer charger, my socks, his crate, the rug, the DRYWALL!!

But we played some more and now he's asleep again.

Little bugger

Labmum likes this.
  4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Sounds like you have a puppy in the house!

Homer used to pick up all sorts of things, some I managed to get off him some went through and some came up.

Puppy = tidy house

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I make sure everything is out of reach of new pups, except their toys :)

Then they don't learn that my things can be played with at all. Then, by the time they are eight months old, they can be trusted to leave my stuff alone.

I made the mistake of playing with Tatze with things that are not toys (like the broom) now I can't sweep up without her wanting to play - and a 26Kg dog destroys brooms in no time!

Twiglet is now reliable and can be left with stuff - but it takes months, I find.

1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Can't really add to Lisa's advice...vigilance is key ...and I'm sure he will be ok....you can puppy proof your own property but it's tricky outside,they are quick! Never to early to start your leave it training! X

7. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Thanks everyone. It's been a tough day. We went n say by the lake. Watching people and other dogs go by. I tried doing the "look at me" excersize, for proofing, while we were there. He struggled. In the house he's great with it. I say "Arnie", his head pops up n looks me in the eye, but with all those distractions. It was tough going. He's doing really well tho.