Eating our garden

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nickrv, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Nickrv

Nickrv Registered Users

Hi sorry another possibly silly question.... Our lab, Daisy, has decided to start eating our garden, bushes, branches, bit of soil and grass, which in its self is annoying but she is now kindly bringing.into the house which is not going down too well. Any advice about why she has started doing it after living with us for nearly 4 weeks she has only started in the last couple of days and also how I can stop it. Thanks

2. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Saba is the same. Our garden looks like a bomb site. He has stripped the bark from a plum tree stump, scraped numerous patches of grass, and trashed the foliage. He brings in the bark, clumps of grass, mud, twigs, and any other detritus. I've tried distracting him or offering treats, but have resorted to hoping that he grows out of this phase :(

Don't get me started on the muddy pawprints on our new sofas...!

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh goodness,they can't half make a mess.........and they probably will grow out of it. Daisy has probably been with you long enough now to be comfortable enough with her surroundings to start some more in depth 'exploring' ...my dog was a horror for digging up the irrigation system in our garden and hunting for stones...Whilst Operation Destruction was going on distraction worked for us with treats,toys and games and he did eventually stop.....only with the very odd regression now!Find it with treats and frozen puppy sized kongs gave us a bit of outside tranquil time.To be honest Dexter has never been allowed out in the garden unsupervised so that saved us from most of his contraband being dragged into the house.Garden debris was swapped for a treat at the back door as were garden toys like dirty footballs and soggy rope toys......we always said ' No,outside toy Dex' Just by saying that consistently if he sneaks one in now ,he will pick it up and take it outside.
    Hope the new sofas are 'labrador' colour?

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Like Dexter, Juno has never been allowed in the garden unsupervised which has meant no digging, chewing of plants etc,. just lots of play and training together. The supervison has also meant no worries a to whether a plant/leaf/berry is toxic to dogs. A good strong "Leave it" helps as well - particularly when there are cherries across the garden :rolleyes: