Eating Problems

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Shadow, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Shadow

Shadow Registered Users

Shadow, my Labrador, hasn't been eating much since the temperature here in California has got in the high 90's and 100's degrees Fahrenheit. Usually feed her at 5:00 AM and have switched to 6:00 PM and no improvement. I've been feeding her Eukanuba breed specific kibble for adult Labradors with Grizzly fish oil and Fido-Vite Sportz Dog powder supplement. Usually she scarfs her food down well. Tonight I fried her up 4 eggs over easy and mixed it in with her kibble along with the fish oil and Sportz Dog supplement and she scarfed it down in her usual Labrador fashion. Is she not eating well otherwise due to the extreme heat? She has a pool she hangs out in during the days that's in the shade and we have a large patio cover which gives her shade too.

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

It doesn't sound like the heat if she is able to eat it was warm fried eggs on top. Maybe it could be because its dry food? Have you tried soaking the kibble in water then freezing in a kong or even just cooling down in the fridge so its cold for her? We are in Scotland so never gets as hot as California but when we have hot days we treat with some watermelon and frozen carrots so its something nice and cold for her.

Keep an eye on her hydration and if she still doesn't take to it then maybe worth calling the vet.

Hope she is okay! x

3. Joy&Diya

Joy&Diya Registered Users

We too have been having problems with feeding our 1.5 year old labrador, Joy. It might be because of the heat, or at least that's part of the problem for Joy, I believe. We don't give him hot food, so I don't know if he'd have any problem with that, but he likes having cold yogurt or veggies in his food. And he doesn't eat anything, not even a snack, after we come back from a walk or if he's just spent some time playing, until he has cooled off a bit. He also eats smaller portions during hot days. We were worried too but then we observed that it only happened when the weather was too hot. When it rains and the temperature goes down, he goes back to his normal eating habits.

Also, as Christina said, it might be because it's dry food? Joy doesn't like kibbles at all. The only way he'd eat it is if we mix some yogurt with it.