Eeekk puppies really do eat anything

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ladyrattlesUK, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ladyrattlesUK

ladyrattlesUK Registered Users

Ash had a massive bout of vomiting this afternoon and loads of weird stuff came up including some mini pieces of foam from his new halfords car dog-mat and a sock. I can't believe he ate a sock!! It scared the life out of me as I thought he'd thrown up an internal organ at first. I rang my husband and told him to start driving home from work (30miles away) so we could take pup to the vet but Ash was running around straight after and is even sitting by his food bowl waiting for his tea and whining. I decided to wait it out and see if he's passing food as normal but I skipped his 4pm meal and will give his tummy a rest till his evening meal at 8pm.

I never leave washing baskets hanging around as he once got his jaw trapped in the holes but I never thought he'd eat clothes. I assume he stole it out of the washing machine when I was transferring things to the drier as it was one that had been in that load. We had border collies when I was a child and they never ate anything weird. I'm now worried about other things such as tea towels hanging in the kitchen or kids gloves in the winter. Anyone else experienced this or is it a typical lab thing?

It was such a fright. I'm lucky as this could have been really dangerous and required surgery. I'm going to lock him behind the gate now when I'm in the kitchen. He normally sleeps by my feet when I'm doing jobs but I'm not going to risk that again. I'm also going to complain to halfords as this foam backed dog mat was £34.95 and he's swallowed the foam from it.

Carnie

2. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Re: Eeekk puppies really do eat anything

Funnily enough, half the posts are about dogs with food allergies/ sensitive stomachs, the other half are bewailing what rubbish puppies eat

3. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi Carnie, How worrying for you. However lots of labs eat stuff and come to no harm. I think you have to be worried if they swallow whloe stuff like balls, that can cause blockages, but they usualy chew it up first. My dog has chewed stuff and swallowed it, bits of clothes elastic bands, which he has pooed out. Ive told this story before, but anyway, I heard of a lab who munched up a glass tumbler, and was given bread, to bind it up, the lab was fine. Sounds like you are being very careful, but I wanted to reassure you a bit. Id watch out for the poisonous stuff, with a young pup, if hes a muncher, but be reassured they can injest stuff and be fine , Maggie xx

4. ladyrattlesUK

It's so weird what they will eat. Cow poo, dog poo, stones, snails, etc. He has pooed some tinsel out (which to this day we don't know how he found in July) but a long adult sock is the largest thing he's eaten. I did have to be the only dog owner at training class on the grass last night as he kept eating the gravel and stones. Sometimes I think he's a walking shark as he just grazes about for anything.

5. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Im sure you know snails are nt good cos of lungworm. But he sounds a normal pup. You will have to be careful, which you are, grapes raisins chocolate onions, are some of the foods i know of that are bad news. Also watch out for avocado stones and peach stones, things that could block him up. A sock though is long and soft, but big ! , sounds like he coped. xx

6. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Bird seed, the inside of my oven gloves, cardboard, batman, chalk, a ton of rabbit poo, half of my flower beds, every single blueberry the from my blueberry bush, fuzz of a tennis ball the list goes on! Thankfully Lola shreds most of it so I usually get to it before it is digested ::)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Umm....I think it was Tatze who ate her entire harness including the metal rings.....Twice ;D ;D ;D
    This might make you reassured (or maybe alarm you even more) ;)

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Guts of steel.... :)

9. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Last week OH removed three football socks, a toothbrush and several lumps of gravel from the stomach of a 15 week old working Cocker. The owners were aware of 1 missing sock only....

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=7536.msg105242#msg105242 date=1409173748]
    Umm....I think it was Tatze who ate her entire harness including the metal rings.....Twice ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Yes - the lead came back up (whole!) over a week later ::)

I still have to watch her, she will now get Gypsy's toys and quietly chew a leg off and swallow it. So I only allow soft toys under strict supervision. All laundry is well out of reach. Neither dog is allowed upstairs so that's not a concern. Thank goodness she's still crated and loves her crate!

We have had three weeks now with no swallowing incidents - touch wood!!

11. ladyrattlesUK

Wow, that's a lot of stuff your dogs have eaten.

Having a lab puppy is such hard work. Now Ash is a little older I have relaxed a bit but Im still tense, especially during the afternoons. I keep glancing up from work or relaxing to see he's no longer napping sweetly by my side so I leap up like mad woman to find out what he's eating or what he's doing. Half the time he's slunk off to sleep just round the corner. The other times he's making his giant holes in the lawn bigger or eating something naughty. I'm thinking of adding in a third walk at lunch or adding a bell like the cat has lol.

Thanks everyone x

12. sussex

sussex Registered Users

yes anything milly has eaten a pencil and outside plastic case of a tape measure which she took out of a coat pocket she has eaten some of nearly every plant in the garden bread in the bag is one thing she has done a lotand she takes tea towels into her bed but did not eat them thankfully

13. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

This makes me feel so much better!
    Bailey ate two tanpax this week , both came out whole!
    The plastic bag he vomited upx

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=7536.msg105242#msg105242 date=1409173748]
    [/quote]

Her latest was only yesterday - three pieces of a toy which (thankfully) came up during the night. The toy was a Kong wubba - made of similar stuff to leads. She just loves it - she doesn't bounce around when she sees her lead - she licks her lips. Seriously, that's what she does! ::) ??? :-\ ::)

We have to watch her like a hawk. I have had a few sleepless nights. Some come up, some come out - depending on their size.

15. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Bouncer once ate an old teabag, I found the remains all over the kitchen floor.

I can honestly say Caffine & 5 month old lab puppys are not a good mix.

16. rachzon

rachzon Registered Users

The first night we had Timmy we were flushing her mouth because she had gotten a cane toad. She also loves the dead dry ones which apparently aren't as poisonous. Now each morning and afternoon since the rains started I have to check the garden for mushrooms. As a new lab puppy owner I'm certainly kept on my toes.

17. ladyrattlesUK

Someone else told me their dog had a horrible upset tummy after eating a tea bag, so it must disagree with them. Your poor pup.

Ash is just turning nine months old now and still a tinker for eating stuff.

Before Christmas we had to install new gates on the kitchen door to stop counter surfing as he learnt how to squeeze the gate mechanisms to release the latch and was able to get up into the bread bin & at any plates the kids had left. We are also on Sky Remote No 4 as it's the only thing the kids forget to put up high & Ash has a weird thing about them. He's not interested in most other human things e.g. phones or iPads, just the remote.

At the moment he's recovering from the accident (driver ran a red light at a pedestrain crossing), so he's only in a small area but he's still being his usual self. Last week he pooed out a surgical dressing the vet was changing as he wolfed it down before she or I could stop him. She was amazed at how fast he swallowed it.

Carnie x

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh gosh! Ash is a little monkey!
    How is he doing?

19. ladyrattlesUK

He's doing really well thanks. The wound is healing nicely & he's on hardly any pain relief now. Last night was the first time he's slept through since the accident which was nice. I almost feel human today. Just need to get him using that leg now as he prefers to hop round on three :D

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good to hear! Poor wee chap :)