Ella's (and my) first obedience trial

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Emily, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

So, after a bit of uncertainty, we managed to make it to the am trial this morning. We didn't pass (we got 71/100 and 80 is needed for a pass) but I'm so pleased with how we did. Firstly I'm so so so pleased that "crazy Ella" didn't show up and drag me round the ring, it was a combination of bits a pieces that we didn't do right that resulted in our low score.

Our main issue was tightening on the lead. Ella's heel work was beautiful in our warm up but as soon as we got into the ring, her nose was wandering. I noticed a lot of others having the same trouble, which made me feel a little better :D

One other station was marked down as incorrectly completed (the first station) . It was a halt (sit), drop, walk around dog. Due to my nerves, I rushed from the sit to the drop and it was marked down as if we did a moving drop.

It was a great experience and I was relieved to see that our level of training didn't stand out as being significantly different to the others.

We have a bit to work on but hopefully that will come with time and experience. :)

Dexter, Cath, Karen and 10 others like this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Congratulations both of you:)

Emily likes this.
  3. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Well done, Emily and Ella! I'm glad you managed to get there.:)

Emily likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

So glad you managed to go and well done! I found doing heelwork in a competition ring much more difficult than normally, so I know what you mean. Hope you can have another go soon.

Emily likes this.
  5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Thanks Joy. Yes, the heel work was much harder in the ring and I'm sure my nerves had a lot to do with it!

I'm hoping we'll enter another trial next month. Then there's a couple a months for the next few months so hopefully we'll get some good practice in.

If I can get Ella's recall and stand for examination looking a little sharper, we might consider entering in the obedience ring later in the year to see if we can start working towards our CCD title.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, huge congratulations, both of you! Just getting into the ring is a massive achievement, and it must be really nerve-wracking on your first go. I'm sure you'll both be able to relax more next time, now you've experienced it once.

Emily likes this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well done!
    You should be proud of that!

Emily likes this.
  8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's a great result, well done!!!!!

Sometimes all the sniffing is because they can tell we are really anxious. It's very common in the competition ring!! :)

You'll totally nail it next time.

Emily likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Emily and Ella that's fantastic, what a great result. You did great just entering! xx :)

Emily likes this.
  10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

That's a good point, thanks. I was so ridiculously nervous but a lot of it was because I had no idea what I was doing (signing in, walking the ring etc.). I feel a lot more confident about that part now and was very confident of what to do at each station (I was actually quite surprised at how many people hadn't seen or practised some of the stations).

snowbunny likes this.
  11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Well done and what a result! Just the transition from practising and working in a class environment to a competitive ring must be such a big challenge for you both. Not a shabby result by a long shot! :)

12. MF

MF Registered Users

She is a beauty! Such a rich brown.

I didn't realize this is called Rally! We did similar when I last took Snowie for training. It was primarily a dog dancing class but the trainer added variation with these signs. I was completely useless! Got completely flustered at each sign. Poor Snowie didn't understand what the heck I was asking him to do!

It's a REALLY good idea that you're practicing the signs without the dog! But... then you've got to add the dog and a crowd watching you to proof yourself! :p

13. MF

MF Registered Users

Argh! Didn't see page 2 when I replied. And today is 18 March! Congratulations on your achievement!! Now you can glug down the rest of the contents in the hip flask and enjoy your weekend!

14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It's an amazing achievement for you & Ella. Well done :star:

15. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

That's a solid B, pretty good for your first ever trial I'd say! Congratulations for going and doing it, and fingers crossed you don't come down with the gastro too!

16. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Too late :puke:

17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Oh dear, it's the worst. At least you didn't all come down with it on the same day because that is the worst when you have a kid to take care of.

18. Emily

Emily Registered Users

That's very true. We've managed to tag team the parenting over the last few days.

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well done you and Ella. That's fab, and a great achievement. How can you get experience if you don't turn up and have a go? Many congratulations for getting out there and doing stuff. :)

Dexter and Emily like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well done!