Eukanuba large breed puppy food any good?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Clara6667, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Clara6667

Clara6667 Registered Users

Buddy our 12 week black lab (working lines) came home on eukanuba puppy food...he used to gulp it down in no time at 7am 12pm and 5pm...mixed it with a little water as the kibble pieces seemed quite hard and large for his little teeth.
    But the last week..he's gradually eating less and today ignored his breakfast and lunch and just nibbled his tea, still leaving three quarters. He had the vets yesterday..last shot and the vet said was extremely healthy. So I'm not overly worried...but just seems strange that the last week his appetite has decreased? Is he bored of the kibible? What better kibble is out there? (Uk)
    His weight so far....
    8 weeks 5kg
    10 weeks 7.8kg
    12 weeks 9.6kg

2. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Try looking at all about dog food website. I've recently changed my boy (2yrs 9mths) to Millie's Wolfheart after looking at this website, he absolutely loves it, and his poo's are at last nice and firm.

3. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

That's exactly what my 13 week old puppy is on. She also seems pretty uninterested in her food. She grazes all day which makes it difficult to determine her toileting schedule. She also does her #2 4 times a day which makes me think most of what she eats just goes out the other end! It's like she eats it cause there is nothing else and she is hungry. The vet doesn't seem to be concerned but I will bring it up again this week at her recheck for an anal gland infection.

4. Clara6667

Yes buddy has 3-4 #2''s a day and there soft and smelly! :-/

5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Xena was on Eukanuba pup until I finished the massive bag. I wasn't unhappy with it, but I wanted to go grain free so I transitioned to another brand. No runny poos ever, and she gobbled it down every meal. She also pooped 4 times per day when she was on 4 meals per day, and is a 3 per day pooper at 6 months.

6. Clara6667

What did you change to? X

7. Deejay50

Deejay50 Registered Users

Ted wasn't on Eukanuba, but we changed him to Millie's Woolfheart Riverside Mix which has been great for him, and the transition from one brand to the other was really smooth. He loves it, and everyone comments on the shiny coat! When I phoned the company to make my first order, it was suggested I speak to their nutritionist first as they have several types. They're a small independent Yorkshire producer, and well worth checking out.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A puppy should not be having soft poo everyday. A puppy might have soft poo time to time, but if it's a regular thing, perhaps think about trying a new food. Make sure the kibble you feed is stored appropriately and is fresh. Kibble bought in very big bags can go off before you use it.

The main thing about food is that it is age specific (feed a puppy puppy food), has good nutritional values, suits your dog and is in your budget. There are masses of foods that for any one dog will fit these criteria. Trying any good age appropriate food from a decent manufacturer is fine. You might have to swap until you find one that suits your dog. Try not to be random about it though, and look at the ingredients in the food you feed. Look at whether now you are feeding mainly chicken (chicken doesn't suit all dogs) and rice, so there is little point in swapping to another food that is mainly chicken and rice, the level of protein and so on.

Many people point to the source of carbohydrate in kibble as problematic, but the first place to look for problems is the protein source. Many more dogs have disagreement with a certain source of protein than with a certain type of carbohydrate (including grains).

I don't tend to rely on websites like dog food advisor, but make my own mind up about what I want to see in a food. A good book is 'Dog Food Logic' by Linda Case.

9. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Orijen large breed puppy.

10. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, all mine...5 now have been and are on Eukanuba ....it has always suited them. Shiney coat. Loads of energy and perfect poos...every so often I try something new...but they are never the same so I always go back to it. The poos usually get more frequent and soft. I have had 3 Newfies and currently have a Mal and a lab...all have done well on it :)