Evening shenanigans #2

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Widgeon, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

After Jackie's topic yesterday I was given new hope of getting a rest in my own living room!!

We had Widg in with us last night (as we normally do) he walked in and laid on his mat chewing on a bone he's been working for a while. After about a half hour he will get up and race around like a mad thing inc trying (and often succeeding) to jump on the sofa and a bit if puppy play biting and snapping.

At this point I'll try and catch him and match him back to the kitchen behind a baby gate and leave him for a while. He whines quietly for a few seconds then lays on another mat. We wait a few minutes then bring him in to start again.

The only way he lays all night is if he had a rawhide bone. Yet will lay on his kitchen mat all the time he's not getting food or attention.

1. Have I made it worse by always giving him chew 'treats' in the living room and therefore got him excited by this room?

Or is it as I first suspected that at 7 months this is what can be expected?

If the later are we doing the right thing by catching and excluding him? (I read this on Pippa's previous info areas but was concerned that by trying to catch him as he runs around, I was turning it into a game)

2. jackie luff

jackie luff Registered Users

Re: Evening shenanigans #2

HI Widgeon. We gave Layla a marrow bone last night and she stayed with it for an hour and half in the living room with us. No chaos, no trauma, peace reigned in our household ...... we were able to watch TV and I didn't once shout No or Layla or Get down. Just wonderful. How long it will last I don't know but it was just lovely. :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm not capable of giving a sensible answer because I have consumed approximately half a bottle of Champagne, but I just wanted to say that I really love your dog's name.

Having said that, I think that you are doing well and that this kind of excitable behaviour is somewhat to be expected :) Sounds to me like you are doing a good job of managing it.

Personally, I like to make sure a dog has the opportunity to be crazy now and then and to run around like a hoon just for the joy of it. But there's a time and a place and it's not necessarily in your lounge room :)

4. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

Thanks, he's named after the first duck I shot!!! Hopefully he'll be able to share plenty more fun times with me.

Hope your heads ok this morning!! :eek: :eek:

He is certainly fine with bones and rawhide but I was slightly concerned that giving him that each night to get some peace now might come back to haunt me in months to come, other than that he seems quite calm, for a puppy!!

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We had a crate in the living room when Pops was little. When she got too excitable in the evenings, we would pop her in there. That way she could be with us, but we could have peace and not have our ankles nibbled or the cushions stolen and dragged around the living room.

6. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3626.msg40801#msg40801 date=1386832731]
    I'm not capable of giving a sensible answer because I have consumed approximately half a bottle of Champagne, but I just wanted to say that I really love your dog's name.
    [/quote]

My kind of dog owner! :D