Excercise for 3 month old Lab puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Oban, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Oban

Oban Registered Users

I've read the 5 minute rule and like many others I dont think it's set in stone, especially for a labrador from an active bloodline.

That said, i dont want to do any long term damage and am mindful of the time we spend on our walks. We currently do a 15-20 minute walk in the morning, then our dog walker takes hom out for 30 minutes in the afternoon, then I take him for a 15 minute walk when I am home from work. All of this is on flat walking trails. In between is normal puppy play and lots of rest. He is eager to go on the walks and is off the lead walking by my side...everything seems fine.

The only issue is this 5 minute rule that seems would only cover one of his walks!
    His parents and grandparents have OFA excellent or good hips and his is doing well, any feedback on this excercise routine would be appreciated though. We are going to the vet tomorrow for next round of shots so will ask him too.

Cheers

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Oban likes this.
  3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

How much and what type of exercise to provide puppies with, is more complicated than might have seemed until recently when the 5 minute rule was all we had to go by.

You might want to have a read of this research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22620698/

"Factors associated with a decreased risk of developing HD included off-leash exercise from birth to 3 months of age, birth during the spring and summer, and birth on a farm. Results indicated that puppies ≤ 3 months old should not be allowed access to stairs, but should be allowed outdoor exercise on soft ground in moderately rough terrain to decrease the risk for developing radiographically detectable HD. These findings could be used as practical recommendations for the prevention of HD in Newfoundlands, Labrador Retrievers, Leonbergers, and Irish Wolfhounds."

You could also check out this link: https://www.avidog.com/how-much-exercise-do-puppies-need/

It's not quite what we, until recently, thought the answer was...

Oban likes this.