Excercise for puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nikki1, May 27, 2017.

1. Nikki1

Nikki1 Registered Users

Hi all,

From May 31st Jordy will be fully vaccinated and ready to be able to see the world on his four paws instead of in our arms!
    I am aware that general rule of lead walking is 5 minutes per month of pups life. And will keep it brief.
    My question is can he have free run / potter about in a field for longer?
    Our garden is not huge but we have a large field 2 mins away.
    So can we have a walk, but still be taken to the field to stretch his legs as extra?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The five-minute rule is basically about common sense. Different people interpret it in different ways, and it has no evidence backing it up. I certainly restrict the amount of time I walk with my puppy on tarmac and on lead, or off-lead at heel, as these put a lot of strain on joints. I also don't take my puppy when I go running. These activities that are either high impact, or where you are dictating the puppy's pace, should all be limited.
    When it comes to ambling about, though, I've been far more relaxed with this puppy than my last. We will go on longer walks than the five-minute rule dictates, but I will spend a lot of the walk doing training activities (such as sit-stays, settles, impulse control etc) where she's barely moving, and also let her mooch about at her own pace. I'll stop every now and again so she gets a rest. At seven months, I'm happy to take her out for a hour doing this.

So, I would say, go ahead. Just keep an eye on him, because some puppies aren't great at regulating themselves when they're having fun, so if you think he needs it - especially if there are other dogs around - give him some enforced rest.

Nikki1 likes this.
  3. Nikki1

Nikki1 Registered Users

Fab, Thanks for the advice!

Really looking forward to being able to get out and about!

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I used to walk Harley to the local field (about 5-10 mins walk at a slow pace) let her play off lead for about 20 - 25 mins, making sure she wasn't running around like a loony, but having some time to sniff etc, then walk back home. Make sure you take lots of pictures....I love looking back at the photos of her first walk.

Nikki1 likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I let Merlin potter three minutes down the road to the forest (I used to carry him, but now he weighs 10.5 kg I can't walk far with him!) and have a pootle around under the trees, while I chuck a dummy ball around for Poppy. Strictly speaking we are over the five-minute rule, but I feel it is more important for him to experience the little walk down the road, meeting other dogs, and having a good sniff around.

SwampDonkey and Nikki1 like this.
  6. Nikki1

Nikki1 Registered Users

Thank you, they do get heavy to carry very quickly don't they!
    I agree it's important to experience all the sights and sounds!
    I will definately get lots of photos, I'm getting lots of everything he does!

Naya likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have to say, I was much more relaxed about exercise with Poppy, who is a far lighter-built dog than Merlin. She regularly used to go on 30 minute off-lead walks through the forest with us and our old dog before she was 12 weeks old. But Merly is much heavier than she was at the same age, and I am more cautious.

Nikki1 likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think that's the thing - there is so much to take into account that there's no "one size fits all". With Willow and Shadow, even though they were a far lighter build, I was so much more cautious because we had a very cold winter with loads of snow, which was obviously very tiring. The hills are also a lot more trying on a puppy's joints. Luna didn't have as much snow to contend with and was more robust when she did. Where Shadow would shiver in the cold, Luna embraced it when she eventually experienced it, because she generally runs much hotter.
    Common sense needs to prevail :)

SwampDonkey and Nikki1 like this.
  9. Nikki1

Nikki1 Registered Users

I will closely monitor as Jordy is a sturdy boy to.
    I guess when we get out we will see how he is, if he will mooch around great, but if exhausting himself or other dogs around will keep it shorter.
    Lots to learn from Jordy, monitoring him to assess his needs!

Karen and SwampDonkey like this.