Excited pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sarah B, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

Vague title I know but not really sure how to word it!
    Loki is now 6 months old and a lovely dog. He is cuddly and affectionate and hardly ever bites now. He hasn't gone to the toilet inside for ages, I can't remember the last time, he's completed his puppy beginners and improvers courses and does well with recall.
    He still likes chewing a lot, partiularly wood i.e. Skirting boards, door frames, table legs, and kitchen chair cushions and plaster on the walls. He is exercised as much as is right for his age, has toys, chews, Played with etc. He is just a chewer and we accept this and hopefully he will grow out of it like the biting.

My question now is when he's been fussed and played with and gets a bit excited he does this sort of panting/heavy breathing, sounds a bit like a zombie dog (anyone watch walking dead? Lol) I know he's just excited so let him calm down. Tonight in the living room he was a bit het up as he'd been sitting with me on the sofa then tried to sit on me lol, but then he lay down on the floor but started barking at me from laying down.
    Is this all just his hormones?

Thanks

2. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

Just to add as well that his barking at me is his attention bark and not his deep bark that he does when he feels threatened (window cleaner) lol

Here is a pic of him from this morning :)

[​IMG]

Granca likes this.
  3. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

When excited and getting tired ours is now 7 months and she will WUF at us before it gets to a bark and trying to jump etc (she is learning). SHe will also bark that play bark at our older dog if she's getting excited with playing. Often she wants to go outside and other times you just have to ignore her and within a couple of minutes she will crash out and be asleep (or I'll take her outside then back in and then she'll crash out).

I think with us if its not a going outside reason its coz she's sick of her toys etc and is overtired and demanding that we pay attention play with her etc as always a few minutes later if you 'ride it out' she'll settle down and crash out.

Sarah B likes this.
  4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Sarah,he's growing up and certainly hormones will be coming in but I wouldn't attribute the barking and panting to that....it just sounds like excitement and attention seeking when the game had stopped but Loki didn't get the memo and it still up for some fun! I'd completely ignore him barking at you ,move away and get on with something else and don't give him any attention ,you don't want to encourage a habit x

Sarah B likes this.